Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  California or valley Quail chicks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California or valley Quail chicks  (Read 5250 times)
Cranky
« on: June 26, 2004, 01:03:10 PM »

Hello from BC,Canada!
  I have recently found three orphaned Quail chicks.I believe them to be California or Valley Quail.They seem to approx ! to 3 wks old.How do I feed them?
quailacres
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 02:06:24 PM »

You don't want to pick up wild chicks under any circumstances! But to comment on the question as it pertains to feeding quail chicks in general, practically all types do well on a good quality game bird or turkey crumble starter feed which may need to be ground to a finer consistency depending on the particular feed and the size of the species involved. For some of the quail species, it's also a good idea to provide some finely chopped greens and tiny mealworms (mealworms should be given sparingly and only for a short time). You should remember that while most of the discussion on this board is about bobs and coturnix which are exceedlingly hearty, some of the other quail species may have additional care requirements for optimal success to occur:D
birdman182
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »

but if they are wild then you will probly have to feed them bugs
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 10:24:34 AM »

Use turkey starter & fresh water every day & they'll do well. Make sure they cannot get into the water & drown ! I use the one liter plastic with a red tray/base & put marbles in it to keep them from getting into trouble for a week or two. (California Valley Quail = one species)
birdman182
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 01:31:59 PM »

now at cutlers they have smaller base so they cant get in them
MochaChai
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 01:17:30 PM »

once our cat caught a california valley quail chick. We knew who it's quail family was, and (at the time we didn't know what to feed it) we gave it chick starter, and put it out in the field where it's quail family hung around alot. amazingly, after a few hours of us watching it from afar, the adult quail came to it's rescue. it's a neat story, maybe we should've left it alone, but then it would've been our cat's food.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »