Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:01:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Wal-Mart Temp-Humidity combo ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wal-Mart Temp-Humidity combo ?  (Read 4854 times)
Royal Flush Game Birds

« on: May 19, 2004, 07:19:36 AM »

Before the the forum was changed over there was a discussion on using these and from what I remember folks seemed to think they did a good job.I was in Walmart last night and they finally have them on the shelves.

Are these reliable ?

How do you route the temp sensor that comes with it and where in the incubator do you place it.

Does the control panel stay on the outside of the incubator.  Thanks in advance for your response.  :D

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
countryboy

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:55:34 AM »

I used a combination Thermometer & Hygrometer (?) that I bought from Radio Shack.  Digital, works great!

I think I paid 20 something for it?

Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 05:32:38 AM »

We got one of those from Radio Shack. Must say it takes the guess work out of figuring humidity. Anyway...Hubby has ours right inside the door of the incubator so it can be read from outside. The "probe" thingy sticks out one of the humidity holes at the bottom of the door. He keeps it in place with tape. They seem to be much more accurate than mercury which seems to go bad really fast. We have 3 of those thermometers and all the mercury has air bubbles in it after a year.  :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 07:31:45 AM »

It seems to me that by putting the digital Hydro/Therm inside the incubator, that you have purchased from Radio Shack would get damaged.

I don't think these are waterproof. High temps and humidity will render this useless in due time.

All the Hydro/Thermo's that I have looked at are not weather proof. The probe is made to go outside and give temperature only, while the unit its self is to be indoors and read inside temps and indoor humidity.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
coveyrun
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 11:56:42 AM »

I also have the same Radio Shack unit and it is made to place inside of the area that you want a reading on. This is the second year of use and all I have done is replace the battery. There is no probe to this unit. Tim
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 12:27:10 PM »

coveyrun,
I also have the same Radio Shack unit and it is made to place inside of the area that you want a reading on. This is the second year of use and all I have done is replace the battery. There is no probe to this unit. Tim

Is this unit is completely sealed in the back, and also if it has lasted this long, with you using it, please post the Radio Shack Model #.

Thanks

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 09:13:53 AM »

If we use it outside the incubator the only humidity reading we get is what is in the pole barn. The unit is sealed in the back and frankly the humidity inside the incubator is less than what is outside. that is why we have to use the hova bator to finish hatching the eggs. The instructions to the unit only say :lol:  not to emerse in water who would do that anyway...I will keep the warning in mind. Thanks for the input. Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »