Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 05:10:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Will they get along
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will they get along  (Read 3868 times)
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« on: December 16, 2005, 06:55:14 PM »

I have two pair of gambles and two pair of California quail! My question is can I put  these two breeds in the same cage for the winter months.
carrotcritters4h

Valley, Mexican Speckled, Bobwhite and Chukar

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 07:13:19 PM »

You should be able to but make sure that you seperate them before the breeding season...also if they show any signs of aggression towards each other seperate them.

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:21:25 PM »

To Carrotcritter, Thanks I really appreciate it.
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »

No problem...thats what we are here for...to get our questions answered and to answer the questions of others...it works out pretty good don't you think?

-Carrot--Valley Girl Hatchery: Currenty Raising Quail: Valley, Mexican Speckled and Bobwhite and Chukar Partridge
jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 08:37:29 PM »

Carrotcriter4h/ Thanks again, but i do have another question, refuring to above .  I bought several pairs of these birds at an auction and do not have a clue as to where and how they were raised. They have to be the wildest birds i have ever owned. Just don't go near their cage. I call them the wild bunch.  How in the world can i calm them down so as to feed them. 

No problem...thats what we are here for...to get our questions answered and to answer the questions of others...it works out pretty good don't you think?

faro

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:18:38 PM »

Hi jbird,
   Valley's and Gambel's are a very wild and flighty type of quail. You can hand raise them and tame them down....but adults that were raised un-touched will take a little work to get them to settle down.  I raise mine in large pens, so they are easier to manage at feeding time. If you raise alot of them it is very hard to hand tame them all.
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 02:53:32 AM »

Like Faro said i think that when you have flighly birds like that it is best to use large pens in order to have them get used to your presence and how your system/schedule works and then once they are situtuated you can gradually try to interact with them more...but i have to say that my valleys and gamble or two are much flightyer then my speckleds and bobs...but they always have been and probablly always will be...

jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:00:53 PM »

Thanks to all. I was beginning to think it was just a little fat old man from MO, they didn't like.   Thanks again     PS.    The larger cage will have to be put off till spring.
carrotcritters4h

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 08:53:35 PM »

Well, i am only guessing that not very many of us are expanding our pens until the weather lets up and spring rolls around again.

jbird
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 09:05:13 PM »

Thanks again for the reply. Been gone for Christmas, now it's time to go back to work!!   Thanks to all and a Happy New Year.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »