Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:04:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Help Starting Quail Farm in Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Starting Quail Farm in Missouri  (Read 9108 times)
mark

« on: October 09, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »

I am wanting to start a Quail Business in Missouri and contacted every agency in regards to Quail Business's Loans and no one has loans to get started. Any help to get me in the right direction would be helpful.

Mark
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 01:16:17 PM »

I would be interested in lending the money to you.

BUT, .....  I am currently going broke in the Quail Business in Missouri !!!

Yes, this is a "Super Smart-A**  Reply, but not far from the truth.

Your local bank, and the S.B.A. are probably the best bets.  Buying an existing facility might help to get the equipment financed on a Real Estate loan.

The biggest problem for me has been having to build everything from scratch.

Do you have barns, sheds, or chicken houses that can be used for laying and brooding areas?  An old wreck of a mobile home on a property is a God send, not a plague.

Have you hatched, or bought any chicks yet?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »

S.B.A. and the local banks will not give out loans for this type of business.

You would have to have some hefty collateral for any lending institution to even talk to you.

Your best bet would be to start out small and just keep building on or get some friend who want to get into the business with you.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mark

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 02:36:38 PM »

I have about 60 Birds, a few pens, One Little Giant Incubator, a few home-made Brooders

Mark
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »

If you have access to day old Bobwhites, or Tennessee Reds, I am often in the market for 2 to 8 week old birds, especially 4-6, as I have limited indoor brooding space.  I am in Ava, near Branson, Bull Shoals, so it would be hard to justify driving up for less than 300 to 500, or so.  But it might get you started.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 04:38:03 PM »

my advise for you would be to start out small and just increase every year.take your profits made and put it all back in the business.that is how we have done it and we have no debt at all.all equiptment and pens are paid for.but you will want to start out small so you can see how big you need to be for the next year.our goal was 1 more dollar the previous year.and we have blown that out of the water. no need for a loan for the bird business.how many quail do you want to have?how many customers do you have lined up?what kind of cliental do you have.and how are your winters there?the cold weather is going to put a hurting on your quail unless you have a place to keep heat on them in the wintertime,or a place they can go to stay out of the weather.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »

my advise for you would be to start out small and just increase every year.take your profits made and put it all back in the business.that is how we have done it and we have no debt at all.all equiptment and pens are paid for.but you will want to start out small so you can see how big you need to be for the next year.our goal was 1 more dollar the previous year.and we have blown that out of the water. no need for a loan for the bird business.how many quail do you want to have?how many customers do you have lined up?what kind of cliental do you have.and how are your winters there?the cold weather is going to put a hurting on your quail unless you have a place to keep heat on them in the wintertime,or a place they can go to stay out of the weather.

I agree with Lenny and everyone else.  Don't try to start big.  Start small and grow up every year.  This is our 3rd year and still growing.  Finally starting to see a profit, but it takes time to get your name out there and get some interest.  Take it slow.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
lonejackfool

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:36:05 AM »

mark,  lots of good info on this sight.   i'm a new member, and this is try number 4 to contact you.  i'm in west central mo, and i think i can help.  if you can figure out how to contact me please do.  thanks don
cpurg

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

Where are you located in Missouri? I know where there is some equipment for sale.,
Thanks
Chuck
Ozark Wings
mark

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:30:18 PM »

Where are you located in Missouri? I know where there is some equipment for sale.,
Thanks
Chuck
Ozark Wings

I am near Macon
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »