Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:45:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Dumping of domestic animals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dumping of domestic animals  (Read 7947 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: September 12, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »

This topic is basically for the rural property owner here, since this occurs most often.

This year at my farm I have had more then my share of animal dumping.

June, I had a Rooster(chicken) that is still here.

August, I now have a black hen(chciken) running around.

September so far, I have a small mix breed puppy that no one claims and 4 white and brown/white and black big rabbits running loose on my property and the month isn't even over yet.

The nerve of people that just dump their pets!

Anyone else have this problem?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:02 AM »

The problem we have is cats. People see a barn along the road and they instantly think we need cats for mice. We havent had any dogs or anything like that dropped off yet.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Gunner63

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »

We have big hip roof barn, so people naturally assume we need cats, which we dont.  Woke up one morning to find 7 white turkey poults roosting on my covered porch rail, someone must have dropped off in the night and the only light around was our porch light, so guess where they decided to roost.  What a mess.

SMack dab in the middle of the mitten
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »

So, what do you guys do? Do you let them roam or try to catch them and get rid of them. If you due get rid of them, how do you do it?

I have decided that as long as they don't bother my pheasants they can just hang out. The first sign of the puppy doing anything and it is the boot! If you get my drift. Cats don't last long around here.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:18:18 PM »

So far we only have had cats and dogs and one goat dropped off and we just let them roam. The dogs we try and find homes for them and if not they just stick around.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 08:44:20 PM »

I wish people would drop off Turkeys, Roosters, Hens, Rabbits at my place !
Would lower the food bill  :laugh:
Any others (Cats & Dogs): lead pills.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »

Quote:    "Any others (Cats & Dogs): lead pills."

:roll:   

That's just plain mean spirited!  :oops:

8)

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 07:30:58 AM »

That's just plain mean spirited!

Yup, that's my nature !
Way too many of them running around the wilds though. They have upset the whole balance of things. There is an old(ish) woman that lives about 4ish miles up the road. She has more cats than she can count. Of course they run wild, breed & more into the wild. Then they eat up wild birds, Partridge etc. I just help the Coyotes control them.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:37:19 AM »

One more thing about Rabbits. I've seen places that have turned them loose.
Doesn't take them long to start digging under buildings and then they "tilt". They can do a wack of damage fast ! Plus in winter months they'll eat tree bark etc.
Best thing to do is eat them ! Nice white meat !
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 10:51:19 PM »

I agree with reeves. if anyone wants to drop off  turkeys I'll take them . as for cats , we have 3 of them which is 2 too many  and four dogs is enough. until the puppies arrive next month that is.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 11:30:20 PM »

Speaking of domestic animals. I found a cat inside of my quail pen yesterday!! :x:  The wire had rusted off where it meets the metal, couldn't hardly see it until I pushed on it. I was just going to chase it out, it was in the unused side of the pen, but when I looked over where the quail where at and saw 2 dead ones, then that changed my outlook. :evil:  I picked up a stick that was equal to a wood broom handle and I used that cat for a pinnate. There wasn't a square inch of that pen that cat hadn't touched by the time he found his way out (the same way he came in) which wasn't easy. He wasn't moving very good either, I bet he don't come around again. About 10-12 years ago, I had enough of the cats around my house, marking everything, screaming in the middle of the night, they got in my garage as I was building it and pee on my dunebuggy seats, I went through the roof! From that day on I shot everyone I saw, didn't care who it belonged too, except for the one I had. Haven't had any cat problems since, until yesterday. I may have to thin them out again?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
AA Plantation
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »

The big problem with ferrel cats is they will kill for the fun of it. I too have a bunch that just show up.
Remeber the 3 S Program
Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up
schultz
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 03:30:44 PM »

Cats around our house, feral, or just dumped off don't last long.
They die of lead poisoning.
maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

My motto is, "The only thing a cat is good for is target practice." There is never any cats around my house. I have had bunnies dropped off and I let them alone, usually they don't last long in the wild anyway. A fox or weasel makes short work of those tame ones.

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
PSUQuailer

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 09:19:28 PM »

We have had emus and an ostrichs dropped of around us but thankfully our neighbor rehabs injured  :angel:red tails :angel: and other injured wildlife and she took one and still has it down their but she tried to catch the other one and it sliced her hand open with its claws and it was on the thanksgiving table the next month :laugh:

Ryan S.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »