Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Straddle Leg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Straddle Leg?  (Read 9208 times)
GigaShock
« on: May 19, 2004, 06:52:08 PM »

One of my chicks has straddle leg, he hatched today. Following information I read on the forums here, I placed a bandaid around his legs so they stay together normally. How long should I leave it on? Also, it looks as his right hip is higher then the other, could it be broken?
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »

You can do an internet search on "spraddle leg" and come up with a wealth of information.  The reason the right hip appears higher than the left is that one author I have read proposes that the chick tends to push with it's right leg during hatching and ends up dis-locating the femur from the pelvic girdle.  Other than that, my experience with spraddle leg is very gloomy.
Good luck,
David
GigaShock
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 09:08:33 PM »

Good news, the chick is standing up and walking around. He took on the most aggressive chick and put it in it's place earlier. He's the largest of my little hatch and is eating well. I read that I should leave the bandaid on him for two weeks, so I'll do that. I screwed up a few times, so he has a mess of bandaids tied to his feet, but it works. ^^
shagomatic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 10:34:28 PM »

The "correct" terminology for this condition is "splayed leg". It is a simple dislocation caused by "loose" ligaments within the hip joint.   You are doing the right thing with the bandaid.  The chick should recover almost completely.  Good luck!
GigaShock
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 03:53:45 PM »

Only a day later he can sprint pretty well now. His feet sticks out slightly more then it should, but I think I should leave well enough alone. He spends more time laying down then the rest, but he walks around a good deal. The chick has yellow feathers, while the other two have more darkish feathers. Could this indicate gender or just color?
GigaShock
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »

unfortunetly I had to put the bird down as the hip would not heal properly.
shagomatic
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 11:31:20 PM »

Sometimes there is just nothing you can do for them.  That is why I normally don't try to repair this problem.  Most times there are other health issues as well.
wvgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 08:58:11 AM »

I have had birds in this postion and also a duckling. I have tried everything and usually, it comes down to finally destroying the bird. I don't even try any more with the quail.  I had good results with the duckling though. She walks with a limp, but is doing well.
DEBBE
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »

My chicks are one week old and there legs went out. They are on small wire so they have footing. Is this heredatery or is thereĀ  something I am doing wrong. so much to learn and so little timeĀ  Thanks for any help Debbe
shagomatic
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 01:00:19 AM »

There are really only 2 main causes for splayed leg.  The first and most common is poor nutrition in the hen during egg production.  The second and not as common is genetic predisposition or heredity.  Both of these cause the ligaments at the hip joint to be "looser" than normal and predispose the chick to dislocation.  In quail because of their size there is really not much you can do about it.  I have corrected it in hatchling Emus with 100% recovery but this is dealing with a baby that is already the size of a cornish hen.  Rest assured that it is not something that you are doing right now that is causing it. 
DEBBE
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:16:11 AM »

shagomatic  thankyou! You mengened diet . could you tell me what you would feed  birds quail, that are pened .We feed high protien granules with corn and Igather differnt weeds when Ifined one they like Igather more and am always trying new ones  debbe
shagomatic
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:45:07 AM »

What percentage of protien does the feed contain?  Is it a "Breeder Ration"?  This is what is needed to be nutritionally complete for egg laying.  Corn, on the otherhand is basically junkfood for birds.  It is nothing but fat with very little else.  Unless you are fattening for slaughter the only other time to offer it would be during extreme cold weather to help them stay warm.  Weeds and grasses are great in small quantities as a treat.  They should really only be eating the breeder ration as a main source of feed since it is designed to be nutritionally complete.
DEBBE
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 02:02:31 PM »

shagomatic 21% but its a starter not a feed Iwill go to the mill get breeder  feed . Its sure a hard way to learn! Thankyou again ! DEBBE
shagomatic
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 02:41:39 PM »

Glad I could help!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »