Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:09:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  No Recall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Recall  (Read 6455 times)
SportDog

« on: April 29, 2007, 11:58:01 AM »

Well I finally released some quail yesterday after letting them stay in the Johnny house for 3 weeks.
Turned 5 males loose.  I actaully saw them once yesterday while working on the farm.  They were held up in a wild plum thicket. 
Not sure why they didnt recall. I went out this morning and saw one within 50 yards of the Johnny house held up under a cedar tree.  I placed one male in a recall cage and put it out right by that area.  Hopefully they will recall to it better than they did to the Johnny House.
Any other suggestions?

I also found a turkey nest that looks to have hatched.  7 eggs.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »

Are they calling?  ..............and just not returning to the pen?  How many did you leave in the Johnny house?

Just curious.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:32:28 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
SportDog

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »

I never did hear the birds in the JH calling but I did hear the 5 birds calling to each other.  Left 24 birds in the JH. 
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 07:50:16 PM »

I never did hear the birds in the JH calling but I did hear the 5 birds calling to each other.  Left 24 birds in the JH. 

Maybe they didn't like those 5 birds you let out and didn't want to see them come back?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
SportDog

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »

Well I put a single male in the portable recall cage yesterday hoping that some were still alive.
None recalled to it either but I did go out there last night about 7 pm and the single bird and JH birds were calling to each other..
Maybe they couldnt figure out the funnel...Who knows. 
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »

Birds do not come hardwired to go through the tunnel,   you have to train them.  Try putting them into the Johnny House through the tunnel a couple of times and they will figure it out.
SportDog

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:59:53 PM »

thanks for the reply GSC,
I did put them all thru the funnel to get them in the JH.  But that was only once.  Might not be a bad idea to do it again.
thanks
SportDog

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »

Good news!  2 recalled yesterday evening sometime to the JH. 
SportDog

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:36:16 AM »

More good news.  Out of the 5 i released 4 returned.  One more returned after being out for 2+ weeks and the last one to return came back after 3+ weeks.  I am amazed that they made it that long. 
moose66

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 09:06:56 PM »

I wouldnt worry. I had freind who watched the quail walk around his recall pen and would not go in on several occasions. He got mad,  took the quail out of the pen he was using to do the recalling, and just tossed it in the yard. And wouldnt you know, in they went. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »