Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Laying nests 4 pheasants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laying nests 4 pheasants  (Read 21191 times)
Bill Woods

Personal Text

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »

In reading your thread thought I would give a shout (raise lots of pheasants and quail and waterfowl):

You never mention if if the "4 pheaants" is all you have in this pen, what size of pen, drainage, so on.

What I do for my specialized or large brooding or flight pens: 
   1. For nesting - the fact is you never can control where birds will drop eggs no matter unless in a wire cage (even there they drop them outside nesting boxes). What I do is make "A" frame shaped boses - open both ends. Make from scrape wood like sheet borad T1-11. Plywood and OSB will work if paint). Make a min. of 18" long with a width of 12" at the base and 14-16" high at the point. Just comfortable but small enough so one bird lays at a time. Place in a well drained area and place grass clippings or fine straw inside. The boxes help but again birds will drop whenever/whereever.   

On a larger scale pen I have made "stands" for protection from elements and freedom. Make a 48"x48" two-by-four frame (with a middle cross-member ar 24"). Cut 4 "2x4" legs 24" high and fasten to inside corners. Use green-treat for legs.

Cut a sheet of OSB into 2 pcs of 48"x48". Use one for the cover. Screw or nail to top of frame. Get a roll of 36"wide  asphalt shingle roofing on it (Need 2 pcs and overlap). Since pheasants are diggers and pickers, cover edge of OSB and roof cover with plastic (not metal) drywall outside corner. Use 3/16" fender washers and 1 1/4" screws.  On sides I enclose 3 with a 12x12 hole cut in for escaping from other birds. Place in well drained area.
Fill again with grass clippings or fine straw.

This "hut" provides: 1) Nesting, 2) protection from elememnts, and 3) roof deck for sunning and escape from "jerk" birds.  During non-nesting times also provides space for an extra small feeder/waterer out of the elements.

May seem complicated but really it is not and is realatively cheap.  Those really into birds and expansion usually has most of this stuff lying around.

Did you know pheasants "love" to swim in pools or pans like ducks?
lamike
Expert Member

Personal Text

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:27 AM »

pheasants like to swim ? :-o

If it aint broke don't try to fix it
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 09:19:09 AM »

I've never seen one "swim", but have seen them "wade" through water.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »