Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  RATS!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RATS!!  (Read 8003 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: February 10, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

Anyone know what to do with a rat problem?  I caught a couple of them but I know there are plenty more.  In the walls of the brooder, underground, everywhere...  I don't want to poison them in case they go and die in the flight pen, I don't find them, and the birds peck at them and die.  How do you guys get rid of them?

Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »

Get you a couple of good cats and do not feed them or set plenty of traps. It never bothered me to poison them.....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:50:09 PM »

agd2    I'd put out poison.......and seal off all holes to keep them from getting in to begin with and/or dying in where the birds are.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:22:28 PM »

I am hoping more human activity out there might help as well.  They have holes burrowed all over the place going into the pens and out.  I need to rebury wire and pen protection this spring so that should get rid of a lot of the holes.  The galv poulty wire I used a few years back was completely rotted gone after a year.  You could actually see the hatch pattern from where it used to be.  I am going to bury a 3/4" x 1" poly fencing and see how that works.  If they still pose a problem this summer, poison might be the best option.

Thanks

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
thekid

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »

I would set out a lot of traps, everything from rat traps to some #0 longspring http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Oneida+Victor+Long+Spring+Traps/+0+Victor+Single+Long+Spring+Trap

setting some mouse traps wont hurt either, you never know there might be some mice running around too

I like to hunt, fish, and raise quail
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »

And your thinking about buying a ton of feed and storing it for 6 mo....?

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »

Yeah yeah... not smart  :grin:  Feed gets stored up by the house, though, not by the pens.  I may have a line on a couple 6 ton poly bins with augers for a couple grand.  Not sure if its in the budget this year but they would work great.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:18 AM »

Spend the extra $$$ and buy either Galvanized or Stainless feed bins. Rats will chew through plastic.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »

agd2

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »

Goog Point, I'll see what I can find.  May just have to get bulk/bagged food yet this year and save money for next year.  Took wednesday thru friday off last week and had the wkend to get work done on the pens.  What a waste of vacation, had actually planned on taking off today and tomorrow.  Well, buried my truck first thing wednesday, then skidster broke down.  Spent the day getting skidster running and truck out, one day wasted.  Got brooders ready on thursday but now there is no power and skidster broke down again.  Spent half of friday getting skidster running and then started on chukar outside pen.  2' of snow on top of the raised floor.  Damn near impossible to work.  Really hope the snow is gone by mid April. We have about 16" on the ground right now and hey look, its snowing again.  Another 3" to 6" today. r1

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »

Goog Point, I'll see what I can find.  May just have to get bulk/bagged food yet this year and save money for next year.  Took wednesday thru friday off last week and had the wkend to get work done on the pens.  What a waste of vacation, had actually planned on taking off today and tomorrow.  Well, buried my truck first thing wednesday, then skidster broke down.  Spent the day getting skidster running and truck out, one day wasted.  Got brooders ready on thursday but now there is no power and skidster broke down again.  Spent half of friday getting skidster running and then started on chukar outside pen.  2' of snow on top of the raised floor.  Damn near impossible to work.  Really hope the snow is gone by mid April. We have about 16" on the ground right now and hey look, its snowing again.  Another 3" to 6" today. r1

I feel for ya  exa I have nothing but flood water and mud. Predator problems up the   c110 azz..  c109

If you go and buy bulk bag feed, you will have even a more then expected problem with mice and rats. You will need a room that is completely sterile so nothing can get in. I go through 2060lbs a month at a cost of $493.10 and every bit of that feed counts at these prices.

The price has more then doubled in 3years.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »

Yeah, you guys have had more than your share of bad weather over there as well.  Not sure I would have had the energy to rebuild after what you went through a few years back.  Bulk/bagged is what I have bought the last few years.  Keep it up in the garage attached to the house.  Not much rat/mouse trouble in there.  We used to live in it while I built the house so our garage a pretty nice man cave.  Actually still has our bedroom in it(which is now the kennel), bathroom, kitchen area....  Not a whole lot of room for vehicles but critter free  :?:  Winters like this make me wish I had a least one more parking stall in a heated garage!

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 10:29:57 AM »

What Steve said...Bulk Bag needs alot of help...Especially if its going to be sitting around for 6 months...

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

I'll go through the 23% and 16% much faster than the 6 months.  I think a few years ago when we raised about the same amount as we are looking at this year, I was going through about 800lbs a week.  I think we will need about 19 ton or so for the year. 

I was hoping to get my wife to partake in the business a little more but don't think she can handle 100lb bags of feed.  Can't wait for the day we can have some bins and an attachment on the skidster to feed.  Baby steps though.  I still see some people posting that they're going to dive in and become rich!!  I remember when I thought that  :grin:  Now its baby steps and maybe we can make a few bucks this year so we can expand a little each year.

slider
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »

Well I will tell you for sure its not an easy business to be in..

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »