Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:36:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Winter EGGS!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter EGGS!!  (Read 9666 times)
Gunny

Personal Text

« on: November 29, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

Well I have not posted or visited for a while but at the risk of being yelled at, LOL, here goes the question.
I got my first quail about October, (13) about 8 months old Tenn. Reds, from a local breeder.  Once the birds got used to there pen, 15 x 8 with 6' roof with sand bottom, they seemed very happy.  Today in southern Michigan about 35 degrees with 3" rain and flash flood warnings turning to snow tonight.  Went out about 6:30am and found 3 eggs?  I do have a small heat lamp in the pen clipped to a stump but what the heck?  Don't want to exhaust the parents for the spring lay so I plan to shut off the lamp.  My question is basically is this normal and would the eggs be fertile?  Happy holidays to all and thanks for any responses.

Gunny
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 12:50:40 PM »

Oh, I forgot, checked the eggs and they are not thin or fragile.  Opened one of them up and full yoke and membrane inside the shell all in tact.

Thanks again.
Gunny
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »

Well 3 more eggs this morning!  I know it's tough to get responses this time of year but anything will help.

Thanks
Gunny
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »

if your heat lamp is putting off light and they are getting 14hrs or more then yes it is normal...They are mature and when the lighting is right they will lay..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »

If your heat lamp is red (anything but white) odds are, it's not the light.

I've had birds lay a few eggs in the fall, when the natural light matches the spring day light times . As it gets dark earlier each day, they will quit laying eggs.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:47 PM »

I bet it's the light.  If you want to supplement them with a heat source over the winter, put the lamp inside a metal container of some sort (not to small to heat up and catch fire or melt the cord/socket/etc.  I've put a lamp directly on the ground and just placed a metal washtub upside down over the lamp for young birds. I have never given supplemental heat to adults here in southern Ohio, although I know it gets a lot colder for a lot longer in Michigan. Don't forget to wean them off the heat if they are used to it and you don't plan on keeping the heat on.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »

Hey good hearing from you guys again!
     Yes, Reeves, the light is red and I have disconnected it to save the birds for the spring hatch of new eggs.  It may get a little colder than s/ohio charlie but not by much the last few years so who knows.  I talked to the breeder who said the birds don't need the light, my birds are in alot more clean/hobbyist style pen, so I thought I would get them used to the new pen with some help.  But, as I said, the light is off.  I think I will just hard boil the eggs I have (12).  Yummy!  Hope to have a good hatch in the spring.  If this is any sign then I think this may go well.  1 1/2 years of research before the birds I guess works out.  Thanks you guys.  Hope to post some pictures over the winter of the pens.

Good Luck!
Gunny
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »

O.K.,
      I removed the light and replaced it with a nonfreezing waterer.  Because we need it here in MI this time of year.  The eggs finally stopped after about 7 more days of egg laying.  I have about 4 dozen in the fridge and 20 in the incubator.  We shall see.  I have candled the eggs in the incubator, which have been in there since the 6th Dec.  Don't notice anything going on inside the eggs.  May not be fertile but we shall see.  Happy Holidays to all and thanks for the responses.

Gunny
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »

Oh,
     Sorry Reeves but that is one ugly %$# car.  Being from the motor city I would give more love to like a 70 Chavelle, 67 Camero, 69 Goat "The Judge",
etc.  Love the post and god knows these cars are probably out of all of our price ranges but whatever.

Gunny
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »

Oh,
     Sorry Reeves but that is one ugly %$# car.  Being from the motor city I would give more love to like a 70 Chavelle, 67 Camero, 69 Goat "The Judge",
etc.  Love the post and god knows these cars are probably out of all of our price ranges but whatever.

Gunny

nl4

s020
blackjack22

Personal Text

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »

I'm with gunny about the car.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »

Some may have never seen one before, because it was nothing but a streak when passing those cheap rice burners?

n3st

My father had a '69 Goat (GTO) 3 duece black convertable in early '70's.....it didn't have a scratch on it, he sold it for $900 to a young fella. I sure would like to have it now.....instead of the '70 Ford LTD 2dr coupe that I've had now for 31 years......  s2  The Goat would be worth a big pile of money where my familymobile isn't worth a whole lot.

Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »

Well Charlie,
     I agree about the rice burners.  I call them zipper cars.  $900 WOW what a buy, if we only knew.  No cars for me because of my construction company but i do have a little heavy power.  2001 Ford F250 w/7.3 diesel, a 2004 GMC 3500 dump truck w/350 vortek, and a older 1993 Dodge 350 w/318 motor.  No real speed but some real power.  Hey, you all have a good holiday and be safe.

Gunny
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »

350 Vortek?  You sure that's not a 360 or a 496 Vortec (8.1) in that GMC?  I got a 2004 GMC 2500HD Diesel, it is sweeeet!  Just curious, I thought the 3500's and the 2500HD's in those years had either the 6.6 Duramax or the 8.1 Vortec?   dk2

My father owned the GTO during the gas shortage in the '70's and he thought it was too expensive to drive back and forth to work (8 miles max. round trip for cryin out loud!)  :-|  !!  Nobody wanted the "gas hog" except young guys at the time and they didn't have any money, hence the discounted price.  I'd imagine that my father couldn't keep his foot out of the carburetors was the main reason for any  excessive fuel consumption?  ^-^  I've witnessed him smoking the tires on more than one car, including the old Ford I still own that I mentioned previously.......it will burn the tires off and hardly move.   :cool:

Awe!....The good ole days...........

c181

Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »

Well Charlie,
     The 360 motor is a Ford Product, not that I would say anything bad about a FORD truck.  They are gems.  I have owned about 6 ford trucks in my short career.  It is a 350 Vortek 3500 Dullies Dump Truck, Bad A%$ Truck.  Hauls about 6 yards of soil.  The saddest thing is it's a electric dump, not hydro, I wish they made things the way they made them years ago.  Good vehicle.  Talk to you later.

Gunny
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »