Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  How do I stop my Quail from laying eggs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do I stop my Quail from laying eggs?  (Read 5083 times)
ertao

Personal Text

« on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:16 AM »

Hi, I have a female Button (Chinese Pained?) Quail who is laying an egg almost every day. Since this will dramatically shorten her life span, I'd like to get her to lay the fewest number of eggs possible.

I've read that reducing their light to < 10 hours per day should reduce the number of eggs produced, but this doesn't appear to be working.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

I am interested as well.  I am wintering my quail in a garden shed and have a red heat lamp to keep it just above freezing.  I was hoping they would stop laying for the winter months, but they seem to be determined to do the job.   :laugh:

I was hoping a red heat lamp would deter them regardless of the number of hours.  Other ideas are welcome.

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
alan vallejo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »

hi you can try to reduce the amount of protein in the feed, you can also try to lower the amount of lite to a maximun of 7 hrs, and change the red lite to an other source of heat, the lite you are giving is making them feel to be at sping for the amount of lite you are suplying.
i dont know if these quails lay year around like the japanese, if that so you cant make them stop laying eggs.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »

I've had chickens lay year round just from the light from having outdoor lights on during the evening.  Must have been just enough to keep them going? Once I moved their coop to other side of the garage where there was no light at all..........they quit laying.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »