Raising Gamebirds > Brooding and Raising

Help with Peacock Information

(1/2) > >>

Lisa:
Hi!  I am a new member here. My boss, who lives in Malibu, California, is considering getting a couple of peacocks for her 6 acre property.  She asked me to find a message board where we might get some information before she makes a final decision.  So far, this is only the 2nd board I've found.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  So here are our questions:

1.  Will peacocks help get rid of worms, snails and other bugs that attack plants, without trashing the garden/landscaping. And in general, will peacocks trash the garden/landscaping?

2.  She also has a problem with gophers, rabbits and ground squirrels.  Will peacocks help scare off these pests?

3.  The property and landscaping is fairly new so there are not really any large trees.  Do peacocks need a coop, pen or some sort of structure for shelter from the elements?  (Since she’s in So Cal, the worst would be rain and wind.)  If yes, can these structures be purchased (where?) or does one need to be built? (If build, where to find out how?)  Thank you!

Lisa

Redhorse:
Two of my uncles have kept peacocks at one time or another. One keeps his in a pen the majority of the time. The other lets them free range around his property. The one with the pens has 11 acres, the other has 80 acres. Both have had problems with the birds wandering over to the neighbors occasionally. As for scaring off rodents, that is not going to happen. More of a chance that some vermin will kill a peacock. Don't really remember either of my aunts complaining about birds destroying the flower beds. Hope some of this helps. :P

Redhorse:
Two of my uncles have kept peacocks at one time or another. One keeps his in a pen the majority of the time. The other lets them free range around his property. The one with the pens has 11 acres, the other has 80 acres. Both have had problems with the birds wandering over to the neighbors occasionally. As for scaring off rodents, that is not going to happen. More of a chance that some vermin will kill a peacock. Don't really remember either of my aunts complaining about birds destroying the flower beds. Hope some of this helps. :P

Sticks:
I feel kind of funny giving advice, since I just joined.

I've had peacocks for a number of years. I am also a gardener. I've never had problems with them hurting plants unless they were right in front of the ground level windows. They love to sit there & look at themselves! Then they squish anything growing there.

They do eat insects, small snakes & mice, but I wouldn't want to count on them eating enough to make a difference. Guineas are much better for insect control, and they don't bother plants. Noisy though.

I doubt they need shelter in your area, as long as you are just talking about India blues. Other species are less hardy. Just a garden shed modified inside is enough if she wants just to have an emergency shelter.

Disadvantages of peacocks-they can be a bit loud during breeding season. Most of the year they are quiet though. Geese, guineas & roosters are a lot noisier. They leave big poops around on the driveway, roof or wherever they perch. Do tend to wander off on occassion.

Advantages-very ornamental, of course. They also are very compatible with other outdoor birds you may raise. They don't seem to eat as much as, say chickens, per body weight. They are very easy to care for.

Good luck!

duck nutt:
for some more advise, try this forum...www.backyardchickens.com....lotta birdlovers there with tons of info on everykinda bird....saw numerous posts on peafowl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version