Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:47:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Anybody use these for quail waterers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody use these for quail waterers?  (Read 17107 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

I purchased the cups and brackets seperately and will get the hardware and pvc locally to make different sizes for different applications.  FarmTek has the nipple drinkers that I have been using and even though they say drip free, they are far from drip free.  I'm hoping these work well for indoors.  Thanks for the help Kevin and Chris.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »

I went with the tubing too.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »

I put a couple cups on the PVC today to see how it goes.  I'm using Sch 40 PVC, 1/2",  and you need to hold the bracket on until the PVC cement catches or the bracket pops right off.  Is this normal?  I am just a little worried what might happen when you get a few psi on it and want to make sure I am doing this right before I put them all together.  Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

i didn't glue mine at all  i went and got hose clamps and put 1 on each side that way if i wanted to change anything i could with out buying new brackets
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »

That's good thinking, Thanks!

jsblindside

Personal Text

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 02:07:48 PM »

seems like too much of a hassle to just water the birds.  i just got one of those quart mason jars with a plastic bottom.  it was about 10 bucks and is much simpler and effective.
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 02:29:50 PM »

Well, I've got about 300 mature and ready for slaughter next week. Unless you've got the time to change that jar out every ten minutes, the auto system is the only way to go.
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

i agree  i dont have alot of birds but keeping the water was a pain with the jar  with the cups i fill the bucket once every 3 days and there is always fresh clean water to then

i just wish somebody made a auto feeder like that
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

Not having an auto waterer would not be an option, too many birds.  Like taproot said, you would never be able to leave home.  For the feeders, I use PVC to run into feeders.  The PVC works as the storage device and they can hold as much as you want them to hold depending on size of PVC.  Or you could use a 55 gallon drum and run PVC down from that down into a feeder.  As long as you keep the PVC at a 45* angle the feed seems to flow well.  I can leave for a few days without worries.

Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 07:10:46 PM »

I would have to agree, I have over 500 birds and a one quart jar is not gonna cut it.  As it is two of my grow out pens empty a five gallon bucket every day.    ::)

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
bucking-horse

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »

Hey guys if you know someone that has cows, see if you can get one of those black tubs that cow lick minerials come in cut the bottom off about 2.5 inches from the bottom set in a 20 gallon medal trash can  with 3 cuts 1.5 wide ,leave enough of the side to hold the can up  the feed comes out in the tub.Holds about 120 lbs.Cost about 20.oo bucks
                                                                                       Chris in southwest ga           

chris williams
jsblindside

Personal Text

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »

oh i didnt know you guys were raising that many, i was just talking about a few for pets...i didnt know you guys are farmers and such....sorry! s144
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 08:03:38 AM »

No apologies necessary buddy  :laugh:

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 06:39:21 AM »

oh i didnt know you guys were raising that many, i was just talking about a few for pets...i didnt know you guys are farmers and such....sorry! s144

Not making fun here.  But this was pretty funny!

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »

s87  Good info here, folks!!  I'm fixin to get me a pressure reducing valve, and plumb a few of the drinking cups in.  Like some of you, I'm tired of foolin with the jug waterers every day, and I've only got 49 birds so far.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »