Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:26:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Anybody use these for quail waterers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody use these for quail waterers?  (Read 17108 times)
Randall

Personal Text

« on: July 08, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »

Anybody use these for their primary waterer for quail? ........   http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/poultry_cup_waterer.html
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »

i cant think of anybody off the top of my head but i know some do

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

i just got some drink cups last week  and i love them i got a 5 gal bucket feeding the and there is plenty of pressure going to get more soon
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »

Yes, I use them and they have been great.  You can also order them here you get five in a bag and if your handy you will save alot of money.  http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_60_63&products_id=489  y1

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »

i just got some drink cups last week  and i love them i got a 5 gal bucket feeding the and there is plenty of pressure going to get more soon
That's what I was wondering, backcounty......whether folks had them hooked up to a pressure reduced water system, or just a gravity system with head pressure from a bucket or such feeding it.  Did it take long for the birds to figure out that it was a water source?  And does a quail's head get in the cup to activate refill OK?

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:39:02 PM »

Randall....I also have mine hooked to a five gallon bucket about three feet above the breeder cages and it operates just fine.  Also I  place my cups on the outside of the cage and the quail place their head out the 1x2 wire slots to drink just fine.  The cups stay cleaner longer this way also they separate for easy cleaning.

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
bucking-horse

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:40:50 PM »

I use some of those on breeder cages You can use 1 cup to water 2 cages i have the water line hooked two a 30 gal. drum .
                                                           chris in southwest ga

chris williams
Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »

Randall....I also have mine hooked to a five gallon bucket about three feet above the breeder cages and it operates just fine.  Also I  place my cups on the outside of the cage and the quail place their head out the 1x2 wire slots to drink just fine.  The cups stay cleaner longer this way also they separate for easy cleaning.
That's my main purpose for looking into these (they're pooping in the 1 gallon waterer dish everyday).  I stopped by the local feed supply today to get a different feeder, and I saw a box of these "drinking cups".......but no other accessories.  I can mount them into a PVC pipe manifold and feed from up above.........no problem.  But, just wondering if they were a dependable waterer........cause Lord knows it's hot down here in Missippy, and don't won't to starve them of water by gettin' something a little more sanitary. j2

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

Worth the time and money no doubt!!!   th3

Randall

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »

I'm 'bout sold, already.... ty2
Taproot

Personal Text

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »

Randall,

I use them and they're GREAT! I've got them in my growout cage (5 gallon bucket) and will be equipping my whole operation with them shortly. I have a well in the front yard that I just got working again. I'm going to supply the water with the well and low pressure regulators. That way they have water 24/7.

Now I just have to find a way to feed automatically. The only drawback to raising Quail (for me) is that they keep you tied to the house too much.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

Now I just have to find a way to feed automatically. The only drawback to raising Quail (for me) is that they keep you tied to the house too much.

Wow that is the truth to the fulliest!  Hard as  s53 to take a family vacation......but they are still worth every penny they bring in!  LOL

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »

Hey Guys - Just purchased the drink cups but didn't get any instructions.  What size hole do you need to drill and does the bracket just clip to the bottom of the pipe and stay?  Did you use any pipe sealant when you threaded the cup into the bracket and can you pop the bracket off the pipe to clean?  Did you use any silicone when you first mounted the bracket to the pipe to prevent leaking?  Shwwoo... That was a lot of questions.  Thanks!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:27:46 PM »

Hey Guys - Just purchased the drink cups but didn't get any instructions.  What size hole do you need to drill and does the bracket just clip to the bottom of the pipe and stay?  Did you use any pipe sealant when you threaded the cup into the bracket and can you pop the bracket off the pipe to clean?  Did you use any silicone when you first mounted the bracket to the pipe to prevent leaking?  Shwwoo... That was a lot of questions.  Thanks!

Little Bear Game Farm,

You will need to drill a 5/16 hole in your PVC and then you will need to apply a PVC adhesive to the bracket and clamp on to the pipe.  You will not need any pipe sealant to attach the cup to the bracket.  The cups are removeable for cleaning, however the bracket is not (it is permanently attached).  Also a sidenote, I found it a little easier to mount the bracket if you slightly reamed the 5/16 hole with a slight bevel.   Also your PVC needs to be 1/2".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:12:03 PM by Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt » Logged

bucking-horse

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »

My cup waterers came with the hose-tubing .

Chris in southwest ga.

chris williams
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »