Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:25:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Pharoah Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pharoah Quail  (Read 13887 times)
Bella Baby

« on: November 11, 2008, 07:19:33 PM »

Help I have two Pharaoh Quail not by choice but because the kids brought  them home now I have 22 eggs and don't know if there fertile or not and if or when she will stop laying and how long does this process take naturally no help from incubator. I have read web sites they are no help unless I use incubator so please any help is welcome just help please.
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:57 PM »

are you getting 2 eggs a day or 1? If you're getting 2 most likely they are not fertile and you have two females.
Check their vents. If one produces a white foamy substance (like shaving cream from a can) then one is a male and the eggs are most likely fertile. Without incubating them you would have to hope the birds will set on them and hatch them. From the time they start setting on them it takes 16 -17 days for them to hatch.
The eggs are very good eating also. Just use them like any chicken egg.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
ode2god
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »

button quail are the same way sometimes if you cant afford an incubater its not hard to make one look online under homemade incubaters im making one out of a styrefoam chest j45  s016 oh and what mobe said
Bella Baby

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:48:22 AM »

one egg a day yes there is the white foam stuff. How meny will she lay ? At 23 now and hoping it will end soon She sits on them all day unless she is eating.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »

You need to take them all out and throw them away, because she cant hatch that many and she is just adding to the pile everyday. This type of quail was developed for their egg laying ability and meat production so she is doing her job. She will lay up to 300 eggs per year if cared for and fed properly which it seems you are doing. You must determin what you want to do with the eggs first of all. Eat them, hatch them or pickle them but you are just wasting them by leaving them in with her and her sitting on them. After you decide what you are going to do with them come back and tell us and we can go from there with giving you advise.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Bella Baby

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:51 AM »

I would like to hatch a couple not 23 Like I said they were brought home my my kids daddy took them to a quail farm to get a few to train the dogs with for hunting let the boys each keep one and now theres all  these freakin eggs  c110 thats what Id like to do with them. My husband would like to raise them but they live in my house have free run and she goes back and lays an egg in the same spot everyday. If I take a couple out the newest and toss the rest do you think they have a chance? If so how meny should I save and toss??
ode2god
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:07:18 AM »

im not the expert these guys are on the quail but i use a permanant marker every three days to keep track of how old the eggs are ...as too how many you should keep the guys will have to tell you that...they know everything  i4
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »

Bella. sounds like you need to purchase an incubator, build a brooder and a pen and join the fun.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »

i use a permanant marker every three days to keep track of how old the eggs are

That can kill or damage the egg. You need to use a non toxic pencil or such. You also do not want to use anything that can or will block the pours of the shell.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:44 PM »

Bella if you want to only hatch a couple just buy you some more. You are going to spend hundreds of $ trying to get a 2$ bird. I would toss all of those eggs and remove the new ones everyday that she lays and eat them..Sounds like you have alot of reading to do before you start raising any if you want to go that route...Good Luck

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Bella Baby

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »

OK so incubator it is how do I go about picking the eggs now that they are 1-23 days old place them all in it or toss them and start fresh?? My husband knows some one who has one can get tomarrow and its a little cold here to move them out now only in the 40's during the day so there in for the winter now.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

Toss

Bella Baby

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »

Thank you
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »

Bella gather them daily and store them small end down at about 50 to 60 deg. and turn them at least 30 deg. 3 times a day and when you get 10 to 14 eggs put them into the inc. then start over saving them all over again if you want to hatch anymore. They will hatch in 16 to17 days if you inc. them correctly. Good Luck

ode2god
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:24 PM »

i use a permanant marker every three days to keep track of how old the eggs are

That can kill or damage the egg. You need to use a non toxic pencil or such. You also do not want to use anything that can or will block the pours of the shell.
actually i use a nontoxic permanent marker and if you only put a small dot on them its NOT goimg to affect them ..i thought it was common sense to use a non toxic marker ..next time ill make myself more clear
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »