Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  wire bottoms?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wire bottoms?  (Read 2210 times)
kansasquail

« on: June 05, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »

i have a couple 1/2 inch wire bottom pens an i wanted to know how old should my bobwhites be before i put them in the pens? also for flight pens should i use chicken wire or should i use netting for the top? would it matter if i use chicken wire for the sides and mesh for the top? and just one more Q to my list Does anyone know a website to get cheap mesh or chicken wire?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Bobs can be put directly on 1/2" wire at 7 days............but they still need plenty of heat and no drafts!  They should be kept in a brooder type atmosphere for 5-6 weeks depending on climate.

My pens are entirely 1" chicken wire (sides and top). My "cheap" chicken wire completely rusted and became very weak within 2 years. If I had it to do over again (which it looks like I'm going to get the chance), I'd invest in a better quality wire.  If I had netting on the top, I'd guess that the unwelcome guest (coon) that I've had the past couple of nights would have made his way through it. By the way.......a coon can kill and eat birds through 1" chicken wire and never damage the wire!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
kansasquail

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »

i dont have to worry about coons to much, i've trapped most of them in our area. thanks for the info!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »