Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:22:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  What's the best way to get rid of Skunks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the best way to get rid of Skunks?  (Read 16114 times)
mSum
« on: June 05, 2006, 06:19:11 PM »

They aren't able to get in my pens, but they sure hang around alot. I've smelled them every night this week.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »

.17 cal
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »

They aren't able to get in my pens, but they sure hang around alot. I've smelled them every night this week.

mSum,

Ya know, I have never had a situation as this, and I hope I never have to experience this kind of opportunity. I would like to here from the other intelligent members who have had the opportunity on the skunk removal. Good, bad, or otherwise.

We do have Skunks in WV and I have had the opportunity to see them dead on the road but none on my property.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mSum
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:07:16 PM »

.17 cal

Pellet gun maybe. But that's it. I live within city limits.

But won't the skunk spray as soon as I hit him?

I heard you can fill an egg with anti-freeze using a syringe. Anyone try this?

My grandpa used to use strychnine. He'd put a few drops in an egg and the skunks would be found less than 10 feet away. But I'm not getting strychnine.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:13:33 PM »

I trap them in haveaheart traps (ha) then shoot them in the head most times no smell ,sometimes i miss the head and boy do they stink  sorry if this offends anyone . Please don't take my karma away, pleeese   ,.........................
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »

I trap them in haveaheart traps (ha) then shoot them in the head most times no smell ,sometimes i miss the head and boy do they stink 

BULLS**T, If you shoot a skiunk in the head it will spray 90% of the time. However if you shoot a skunk through the lungs it will not spray, it needs to get a big breath to bear down when it sprays. I have never had a skunk spray when shot through the lungs. You need to be sure not to hit the spine because if you hit the spine or brain it can trigger an automatic nervous reaction and the skunk will most definitely spray.

Another good way to kill a skunk is to use a live trap that is covered with a feed sack so it can be covered completely when a skunk is trapped. Take the trap and skunk and put it under water, it can spray so don'y stand downwind. The reason for the feed sack is that if a skunk can't see it won't spray.

I do not recommend havahart traps for 2 reasons, they are not built to withstand the beating an animal can put on it and they are big supporters of the humaine society and PETa. I am a strong oposer of both organizations as I am a trapper.

mike
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:46:58 PM »

i still shoot them in the head and no smell  how does a skunk take a deep breath with a hole in his head ?    i use have a heart traps because they are always in the garbage or out on clean-up week  and they can't take a beating so I go thru a lot of them will not buy them just pick them up on clean-up week .Probably shot 30 skunks last year and more coons than that
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »

sounds like you have been lucky then. I will only shoot them in the lungs, I never had one spray, they just lay down and die. I have seen alot of critters take alot of deep breaths with a hole in the head. I have been trapping for about 23 years. I would rather not get a skunk in a trap and I will not skin them, they go to the local village idiot since he traps too. That guy goes around smelling like skunk from october till february.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »

I trap them in haveaheart traps (ha) then shoot them in the head most times no smell ,sometimes i miss the head and boy do they stink  sorry if this offends anyone . Please don't take my karma away, pleeese   ,.........................

I trap them in haveaheart traps (ha) then shoot them in the head most times no smell ,sometimes i miss the head and boy do they stink 

BULLS**T, If you shoot a skiunk in the head it will spray 90% of the time. However if you shoot a skunk through the lungs it will not spray, it needs to get a big breath to bear down when it sprays. I have never had a skunk spray when shot through the lungs. You need to be sure not to hit the spine because if you hit the spine or brain it can trigger an automatic nervous reaction and the skunk will most definitely spray.

Another good way to kill a skunk is to use a live trap that is covered with a feed sack so it can be covered completely when a skunk is trapped. Take the trap and skunk and put it under water, it can spray so don'y stand downwind. The reason for the feed sack is that if a skunk can't see it won't spray.

I do not recommend havahart traps for 2 reasons, they are not built to withstand the beating an animal can put on it and they are big supporters of the humaine society and PETa. I am a strong oposer of both organizations as I am a trapper.

mike

i still shoot them in the head and no smell  how does a skunk take a deep breath with a hole in his head ?    i use have a heart traps because they are always in the garbage or out on clean-up week  and they can't take a beating so I go thru a lot of them will not buy them just pick them up on clean-up week .Probably shot 30 skunks last year and more coons than that

sounds like you have been lucky then. I will only shoot them in the lungs, I never had one spray, they just lay down and die. I have seen alot of critters take alot of deep breaths with a hole in the head. I have been trapping for about 23 years. I would rather not get a skunk in a trap and I will not skin them, they go to the local village idiot since he traps too. That guy goes around smelling like skunk from october till february.

Must be the different regions in which the skunks live in. You can smell the skunk a mile away when it is a road kill, here in WV, and I we are talking about, flat as a pancake.

You two guys owe me a new key board. I have never laught so hard in my life. Tomorrow you both will receive a 1 point increase in your Karma. :laugh:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:58:27 PM »

A person hasn't smelled a pole cat until one sprays in your open bedroom window in the middle of the night!!!   WWHHHHEEWWWYYYOWW!!!!^%$%$!!That was about 20 years ago and I can still taste it. Never seen the skunk and don't know what made it spray, but it woke me and my first wife then and we had to vacate the premises immediately.

NOW THAT WAS TOXIC! Most people know the smell of a skunk, but there is nothing like up close and personal! It's completely different, it even burned my eyes. Had to evacuate the whole house for about 2 days. I think that it may have even damaged my lungs!

Definitely natures tear gas when used in closed area.

As far as killing one, i'd use the advice already given.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:00:02 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 10:47:11 PM »

I gave a skunk to my brother-in-law to skin a few years ago and he decided to attempt to extract the essence. he ended up getting it out alright right in his eyes and mouth. He couldn't smell anything for about 6 months, lol.

mike
14Yoquailfarmer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »

try a wooden box with a noch in both side and a 220 conibear and they will spray but not real bad casue there air ways closed off but the jaws of the trap these work good but check local game laws theres probaly a law alowing you to trap nusiance animals but still check cause there is alot of troblem with game wardens and this stuff ask first just trying to help

Joe
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 04:40:49 AM »

Thanks steve I  need all the karma I can get   :laugh:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »