Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Butler Bobwhite
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Butler Bobwhite  (Read 36484 times)
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »

I guess what I am saying it that I want to find 2-4 reputable breeders that are selling TRUE strains of Butler Illinois Bobwhites. 

First I have never heard of the Butler Illinois BW's but then there are a lot of different strains of Butlers. I will have to say that some people just cross to different strains of BW's and than name them. There are a few guys that have true Butlers but I don't know many of them. There is a mention of a breeder in the early part of this post with his web site. I will have some eggs ready in the late part of this spring after I hatch the early ones out. That is the early eggs that I will get from them. Hope this helps you in your quest to find the Butlers.

From what I have read, Butler Illinois is where the Butler quail get the name.

I want to get as close to a pure strain as possible.  I have contacted as many Butler suppliers as possible and will buy this spring.
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 08:41:11 PM »

I got some of chucks butlers I'm trying to put pic on here but its too big my other butlers are from elbert on ebay both got big birds.Tommy
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »

I would love contact information or wesites for them?

I have access to crosses in different varieties of bobs, but want to start developing a nice flock of Butlers too.
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »

It is Chuck's butlers on 1st page of this Ozarkwings@townsqr.com and bruce (elbert on ebay) they both got big birds.I'll post some pics on my web site tom. www.TLsgamebirdfarm.com and here if I can get them i got my breeder cages there too.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 09:22:09 PM »

thanks for the help.  i will be buying this spring and summer.

i want some bird birds for my breeders, but i also have a covey coming from crosses between the Cunningham and Georgia races.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »

ANOTHER QUESTION?: WILL YOU BE SELLING SOME OF YOUR BUTLERS ALSO? I KNOW THEY ARE FROM THE SAME BLOODLINES, BUT THEY HAVE CROSSED WITH EACH OTHER I AM SURE?
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 07:57:03 AM »

The Ga Giant has been around quite awhile, it isnot a strain of the Butlers, I think it predates the Butler.

Right now isnt a great time to look for eggs, as the season gets into it there will e lots of eggs available, right now I'd be more interested in locating good breeders of the strains that you want, a lot of new operators out there who are just reproducing what they have and selling them, look for suppliers with good non-inbred strains of what you want.

Ebay is one of the last places i would look for birds or eggs.

Get the mags, search the sites and find a breeder you can work with and who takes pride in their stock.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »

I have GameBird Mag o nthe way.  I understand that Gerogia and Butlers are differrent, and that is why I will be keeping them seperate.  At least in the beginning, I use the Cunningham/Gerogia crosses for dog training, and the Butlers will be my breeders for the future.

The reason I am here asking now is that most of the people I have talked to on the phone or e-mailed have told me I need to get on a waiting list to get the eggs since they run out [for Butlers that is].  Plus, I realistically need to know how many eggs I can get and from who to plan the pens and the breeding matrix.  I will be taking the biggest and heathiest of the lots to add to the breeding program until I get the amount of birds I want for producing eggs/meat/trainers.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »

What kind of numbers are you looking at. Even a pair is pretty prolific.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »

no fewer than 30 breedering trios. 
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »

You want a couple thousand birds a year?

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 01:53:11 PM »

You want a couple thousand birds a year?

at least 1000
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:31 PM »

Hello, I got both bloodlines in seperate breeder cages and I keep each egg seperated so I know which is which. I've still got them all everyone wants to buy pair or trio's and I'm not plitting these up way to hard to come bye I think I got them on my web site last night www.tlsgamebirdfarm.com and a few of my breeder cages the rows I got of them.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:11 PM »

I have developed a list of breeders that people here and elsewhere have given the thumbs up, and started to reserve eggs when needed.  Now the question is do I really was 600 eggs?
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »

600 eggs could (some posts on here quote as little as 50% Hatch), translate to as few as 300 chicks, shipping delays,damage,heat,cold. Then incubator deaths, clears, say another -5%, then brooder problems, culls. :sad:
600 eggs really doesn't seem like that many.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »