Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Ground vs. Wire (Should be entitled Power's hunting ethics)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ground vs. Wire (Should be entitled Power's hunting ethics)  (Read 15692 times)
Scorpion
« on: May 07, 2004, 11:53:54 AM »

Thread hijacked by Power   :x
MaDHaTTer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

I raise Wis. Jumbo's in a cage , coturnix in a cage , And I am going to put Georgia Giants in a cage , these are up off of the ground  3' .
The pen is 4' deep 8' long 2'high .
3 pens this size for 3 different type quail

Pheasants are on the ground they are in pens 6' wide  6' tall  12' long
Silver Duck Wings , Black Tail Buffs , B.B. Reds are all on the ground also.
There pens vary  6' wide 6' tall 6' long .
Hope this helps you some
bird288

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 07:34:53 PM »

Scorpion,I am with MaDHaTTer on the birds being on wire .It will cost a little bit more,then you won't have to worry much on dieases.,,God Bless,,,
   Jay,,,,, :wink:
power
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 09:01:07 AM »

delet
joip
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 10:06:18 AM »

All my quail and poultry are raised on the ground, I've found birds raise on the ground build a stronger immunity to disease than birds raised on wire, as long as you don't over crowd and keep food and water containers clean you shouldn't have a problem, I have never had to use added antibotics other than what is in the initial starting feed

Joip
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 10:43:09 PM »

Power, why on earth do you say Georgia Giants dont do well on the ground? A friend of ours raises Georgia Giants, Jumbo Wis, and a couple other large breeds of quail, and regular northen bobwhites on the ground. They are all very strong healthy birds. I dont believe that they are affected by being raised on the ground, if anything they are healthier and more natural. The only birds that our friend doesnt raise on the ground are California Vally Quail, Gambel Quail, Blue Scale, Mearns, and Mountains.
Don McGowan
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 05:53:36 AM »

Quail boy,  down where you are you have lots of sand in the soil, most likely has better drainage. up here in northern Ky there is clay in the soil ground can be hard as a rock. very poor drainage.  Just a thought
power
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 08:49:23 AM »

delet
scc
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 12:53:45 PM »

What is a "WAL MART" hunter? And once you've bagged one how do you cook it?......lol
power
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 01:50:18 PM »

delet
Royal Flush Game Birds

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 05:28:44 PM »

Be careful how you label types of people on here or anywhere. Some on this site may  visit a game preserve or supply birds to a preserve, some  may even raise birds for their dogs.... also hunt them "pen raised birds". The tongue cant start a raging fire. Dont give the animal rights people any reason .You raise birds in cages too. In their eyes you are just as bad as those "wal-mart hunters"Just a thought :idea:

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
scc
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 06:13:54 PM »

Now that we have the defintion, let me just say thank God for them. I for one sell birds for people to hunt in small amounts. Most, though are sold dressed for poeple who either don't hunt, don't have a place to hunt, or have few if any wild birds.
scc
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 06:14:18 PM »

Now that we have the defintion, let me just say thank God for them. I for one sell birds for people to hunt in small amounts. Most, though are sold dressed for poeple who either don't hunt, don't have a place to hunt, or have few if any wild birds.
scc
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 06:16:06 PM »

hahaha........I'm better with birds than the PC.
derk1

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 08:38:50 PM »

Why would someone who claims to raise birds make fun of our customers.
Gamebird breeders supply hunters and dog trainers along with re-stocking programs and for food.

Who do you sell your birds to power? Walmart?

I hope noboby on this forum now that we all know how you feel,
I personally enjoy hunting pen raised birds in September over a really good dog.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »