Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  What to plant?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to plant?  (Read 7145 times)
Calif. Hunter

Personal Text

« on: December 17, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »

My club has land near Maricopa/New Cuyama/Ventucopa in southern/central California.  Dry land, non-irrigated.  Is there anything we can plant in the winter that will benefit the local Valley Quail population?  We had planted a mixture of grain a couple years ago, but I don't know how much it really benefitted the quail or dove.   So mainly looking for a dry land seed mix that might help.   We have some field-like areas surrounded by scrub brush hills, and several guzzlers.  We have a fair population of quail but want to maximize them if possible.

Also - do pen-raised valley quail adapt well to be ing released to augment the naitve population?  Not looking to plant the birds and shoot them immediately.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:36:00 PM by Calif. Hunter » Logged
Calif. Hunter

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:28:38 PM »

Well, 16 views an dno replies, so I guess a lot of other people have the same questions....    dk2
bird288

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:46:18 PM »

You might try planting some milo ,Don't know if it will work are not
  It can take the heat and dry spell pretty good
   You might try and do research ,
      Hope that will help you out
  ,,,,,Jay
Calif. Hunter

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »

I've tried Quail Unlimited and various internet searches.  Unfortunately, there is very little out there about CA Vor Valley Quail.   Right now, it looks like we will try a 3-grain mixture (barley, oats and milo?) that is recommended by one of the local ranchers.  We used a mixture that is used for pasture (oats, wheat, milo and I am not sure what else a few years ago and were not happy with it.

I thought when I found this site that there might be someone with some experience that could save us some trouble - I found this website via trying to do research via the internet.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »

It may take more than two days for people to see your topic.

It will also depend on if anyone here knows the laws about your State.
Which may have a factor in your wish to release, and plant what may be a non native species of plant.

Give it time.....
bugflipper

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »

Buckwheat does very well in dry climates. Also you may want to look into a sorghum or brown top millet type of plant with a deep tap root. Crown vetch is one of the best you will find for quail habitat and it is drought tolerant. One more is chicory. It has a massive tap root. It is not so much what you are looking for as it is not a huge seed producer. But a wonderful bug plant with a descent fall seed quantity once established.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »