Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  My BW Quail are dying!!! Please help!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My BW Quail are dying!!! Please help!!!  (Read 5874 times)
brookly_2007

Personal Text

« on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »

I have about 9 week old BW that i just got last weekend to add to what i have. i know they are very territorial so we went ahead and put them all together and they didnt really start chasing or pecking or anything. They have been doing okay. Now all of a sudden every evening when i go to feed there is at least a couple dead. They seem okay no pecking marks or anything. You can tell when they get sick because their feathers will be puffed out and they just stand in the corner, not very active. Well yesterday I had 7 dead!!! Same thing they all looked okay. Went back to check on them late yesterday evening and one more had died. THis morning i had 5 dead when i checked. I run to town and bought some terramycin and put in their water. I also checked on them on my lunch break and there was two that looked dead (they were laying on their sides) but were still alive. I tried putting them back on there feet but its like they couldnt stand. They would flap there wings but other than than couldnt do anything. They would just lay there and open and close their mouth like breathing. PLEASE HELP!!! AT THIS RATE I WONT HAVE ANY LEFT!! I thought maybe it was just stress from moving and was told the terramycine would help that but now the paralize type thing is worrying me that is may be something else!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:11 AM »

I have about 9 week old BW that i just got last weekend to add to what i have. i know they are very territorial so we went ahead and put them all together and they didnt really start chasing or pecking or anything. They have been doing okay. Now all of a sudden every evening when i go to feed there is at least a couple dead. They seem okay no pecking marks or anything. You can tell when they get sick because their feathers will be puffed out and they just stand in the corner, not very active. Well yesterday I had 7 dead!!! Same thing they all looked okay. Went back to check on them late yesterday evening and one more had died. THis morning i had 5 dead when i checked. I run to town and bought some terramycin and put in their water. I also checked on them on my lunch break and there was two that looked dead (they were laying on their sides) but were still alive. I tried putting them back on there feet but its like they couldnt stand. They would flap there wings but other than than couldnt do anything. They would just lay there and open and close their mouth like breathing. PLEASE HELP!!! AT THIS RATE I WONT HAVE ANY LEFT!! I thought maybe it was just stress from moving and was told the terramycine would help that but now the paralize type thing is worrying me that is may be something else!!

What enviroment are your birds in? The way you are stating that the birds are breathing sounds like gapeworm. How do their breasts feel, plump or like a razor blade?

Re: Dewormer for quail
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:36:20 AM

I don't have any problems now, but i know that a problem should be prevented before it happens.
Anyone ever used ivermec to deworm quail? if so what would be the dose for grown birds in a 5gal waterer.
How about 3 week old chicks dose for 58oz waterer?
Thanks

Break it down by weight per adult bird. Add all the birds average weight and then add the dosage per label.

If you have as an example, 1000 adult quail and the average weight is let say or arguments sake, 10oz. 10oz X 1000 adults = 10,000oz. Divide that by 16oz.
10,000oz divided by 16oz =  625lbs.

Use 10mL (2 teaspoonfuls) of solution to 1gal of water per 100 lbs. Just make sure you use enough water trays throughout your area so all adult birds will get to drink. I do my pheasant this way and break it down for a two day treatment.

This is some strong meds. Do not shotgun the meds. Over medicating them to give then the so-called boost will kill them.

I have never tried this on chicks and I wouldn’t recommend it either. This medication is for worming Large Roundworms: (Ascaris) Nodular Worms (Oesophagostomum spp.) Lung Worms (Metastrongylus spp.) Intestinal Thread Worms: (Strongyloides ransomi)

Use Fendendazole for gape worm. The normal earthworm is a host to many of the strongyloides. Using a vet to check the fresh fecal mater is really the best way to go.

I would also suggest keeping the Merk Vet Manual as a favorite.
This does come in handy when diagnosing certian ailments.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/mvm_list.htm

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
brookly_2007

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »

Any help would be appreciated
WhitePearlGem

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »

since many of us are new to quail raising it might be helpful to post an outcome on what happened and how you dwelt with the problem. and any words of wisdom you learned from a sad situation.  :cry: sorry for you rloss.

Pearl Girl
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »