Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Texas A&M Quail with 'rotting beak'....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Texas A&M Quail with 'rotting beak'....?  (Read 3377 times)
brendaks
« on: April 22, 2006, 01:27:32 PM »

She's shows signs of itching or burning, tossing her head around and now her beak appears to be rotting on top.  She's fine otherwise and still laying.  Should I quaranteen and toss the eggs out?  What can I do for her?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My quail are inside pets and dear to me...I'll do whatever it takes!  She's eating and drinking fine.  Her cage has been cleaned and sterilized since this began.  Nothing seems to help, I'm worried she'll share her condition with the others in her pen.  I also just hatched 7 new chicks from eggs, some of which were hers.  Please help - any information would be great, I have no idea what to even use as search words to research on this.
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:09:31 PM »

Elsewhere on this forum I read that quail will attack the nostrils of others.  I can see this especially in an A&M since the nostril's dark color is contrasted from the rest of the bird.  This may be the source of your "rotting" beak. Treat the bird as if she's being pecked.  Isolate at a minimum.  g'luck.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »