Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:06:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Could Have Done Without This...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Have Done Without This...  (Read 4882 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »

As if we didn't have enough work to do on the pens after not raising pheasant for a couple years, Mother Nature decided to throw another wrench in the plans.  We haven't had a chance to get much work done on them this winter which now is a good thing, would have been a waste of time.  Power was out all day yesterday but we were able to get a generator going to power the heat lamps and only lost about 25 chicks (had about 1100 hatch this past weekend).  Got 15 inches total of heavy wet crap.  Steve, I now know exactly how you felt when you had yours go down.  Good thing my wife couldn't get out of the driveway to go to work.  She was able to keep an eye on the chicks until I got home with the generator.  I know we would have lost a lot more if not.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »

More pics.  I had to go to a meeting in La Crosse yesterday morning, typically a 2 hr drive.  Took me 4 hrs

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »

Insurance ?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »

Bear,

I feel your pain. What size hole in the netting? I went from 1" to 2". Even at the 2" we had a wet heavy snow and I was out there with a paint roller and extention handle.

Netting isn't cheap anymore.

Steve

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:18:01 AM »

Insurance ?

Insurance  s020 s020 Unless your doing over 1 mil in birds, it is not cost effective. This is what separates the men from the boys, or if you want to play, you got to pay.

Business insurance is not homeowners insurance friendly. You lose utility power while hatching, either spend the money on a generator or eat the loss and then try again.

Steve

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »

I've got 1" on the sidewalls and 2" on the top net.  Think I am going to take the 2x4 top rails down to use for bracing and run cable along the top.  Hopefully I can get a lot of it fixed with just a bunch of time and not a whole lot of materials.  With it being spring, the ground was pretty soft.  Most of the posts were either bent over or uprooted, only a few that actually snapped.  Got a lot of hog ringing to do!

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:40 AM »

I've got 1" on the sidewalls and 2" on the top net.  Think I am going to take the 2x4 top rails down to use for bracing and run cable along the top.  Hopefully I can get a lot of it fixed with just a bunch of time and not a whole lot of materials.  With it being spring, the ground was pretty soft.  Most of the posts were either bent over or uprooted, only a few that actually snapped.  Got a lot of hog ringing to do!

That is what I have 1" sides and 2" tops. I still have the perimeter side rails but I have the netting long and wide enough that I can lay down my posts if need be and then the netting will be on the ground.

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:23:10 AM »

Bummer man I feel ur pain..Best of luck to you...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »

Ouch....,,.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:19:06 PM by cv » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »