Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:40:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  That Quail Place ChatRoom
| | |-+  California Quail (NEW OWNER) Help needed.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Quail (NEW OWNER) Help needed.  (Read 3318 times)
silentbobt

Personal Text

« on: June 23, 2013, 07:20:58 AM »

Hello there.

Im a new owner of 6 cali quail. I made a large 5'3" enclosure. Bought them as my daughter loves birds and my wife really want chickens eventually when we get a bigger garden. So I thought it was a good compromise. However I am hitting a lot of contrary advise so im hoping with all you experts someone will be able to answer some questions. My birds are 8 weeks old (so im told) can differentiate between male and female yet.

1. What is the best feed for them? Breeder told be 28% Protein / Pets At home said any wild bird feed. Cant find any real answers online.
2. May sound daft but do i need to have a male for the females to produce eggs (for eating) If i keep a male can we eat the fertilised eggs obvioulsy straight away.
3. What age will I be able to tell what sex they are?

Thanks in advance. (Complete novice)
thekid

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:43:40 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the site!  s016 do as the breeder said, feed them 28% Non Medicated chick and game bird starter their whole life. I like the Blue Seal Chick and Game Bird Starter 28% Non Medicated feed. You do not need a male for a female to lay eggs, they will do that on their own, but I would not eat california quail eggs, they are a bit of a more expensive breed in the quail world. But if you want to eat them go ahead, but to answer the second part of your question you can eat the fertilized eggs, they are still good healthy eggs. Sorry I cant answer your third question. But if you want a quail that is good for eggs go with Coturnix, they are great layers compared to your California's. They will lay a egg a day for their whole lives as long as they have 14 hours of day light. (Which you could provide with Christmas lights). I would recommend building a 5 foot by 4 foot pen and getting 25 laying jumbo brown hens or if you want a few males 20 females and 5 males. Keep the calirfornia's for the kid and buy a incubator and hatch some eggs, sell some cali chicks and their eggs to have a few extra dollars. But for eating I would highly recommend Coturnix Quail, which are also much cheaper! Good luck with the California's and have fun!

I like to hunt, fish, and raise quail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »