Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:26:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  not reaching temp
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: not reaching temp  (Read 3586 times)
steve30947

« on: April 24, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

i just bought a new Pre-Set Electronic Thermostat from gqf. the preset is #3 on the rocker switch. i have the #9 on and still can't reach 99.5 # 9 is the highest setting. I'm only reaching 89.4. does anyone know that i can do different or can i turn on more of the rocker switches? i just bought a new heating element and insulated it with 1 inch foam. please help.
    thanks
              Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:51:40 AM »

i just bought a new Pre-Set Electronic Thermostat from gqf. the preset is #3 on the rocker switch. i have the #9 on and still can't reach 99.5 # 9 is the highest setting. I'm only reaching 89.4. does anyone know that i can do different or can i turn on more of the rocker switches? i just bought a new heating element and insulated it with 1 inch foam. please help.
    thanks
              Steve

What did this QGF preset replace, what is the wattage on the new heating element, and who's the manufacture of the incubator?

I have two GQF incubators with the presets and I have never had a problem setting the rocker switches. My incubators will hold 99.5 with inside building temps of 35-40*

I would suspect the heating elements over the preset.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
steve30947

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:18:04 PM »

i built the incubatorand it has a 250 watt heating element.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:30 AM »

steve30947,

Look, I am drawing a straws here.. Not knowing the size comparison or design of your cabinate incubator in relation to that of a GQF 1502 Sportmans incubator makes this a challenge. So that being said, I am not trying to belittle you.

Is this the first attempt on this homemade incubator, if not, what did you have before the preset GQF, and did you maintain and hold your 99.5* or even a higher temp?

How about the thermometers, have they been calibrated this year? New location of the incubator from last year? Airflow, drafts, ambient temps? Different fan?

What other changes have you made to the incubator that are substantial to reaching the temp?

You stated that your heating element is 250watt. GQF replacements for their cabinate incubator is 225 Watt Heat Element . The 25watt difference may be causing the problem with the preset, a mixed match.

.......it could be that you just got a bad preset from GQF. Give them a call. I don't think they warranty their presets if they aren't going into a GQF box. I could be wrong.
can i turn on more of the rocker switches?
As far as multiple dip switch setting, call GQF and ask.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:37:57 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »