Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  killer acorns ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: killer acorns ??  (Read 16420 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »

all I can think of is that its getting cold too fast we have had a couple good frosts lately.

That may be why they're huddling together, but it wouldn't be killing them.

Since you say it is at night, my guess would be that something is harrassing them. That they are banging against the pen.    :-|

I noticed they are huddling together lately instead of doing their  own thing as before.

"Safety in numbers"...........they may be terrified if something is bothering them.  They usually don't covey up during the daylight hours unless it's darn cold for an extended period. I don't know what your pen is made of (metal roof?), but is it possible those numerous acorns falling and banging the cage are keeping them startled?     .............or you've got a disease, etc. ??? 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 12:58:24 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 01:11:05 AM »

Better open up any that have expired in the last two days.  Check intestines, and liver, especially, but also lungs.  Any "snot bubbles", or white stuff around their nostrils, or mouth?   Have any of the "expirees" had thin breasts?

We may have been distracted from something curable by the acorns.  Have they been wormed, regularly?  Is the ground in the pen damp?

If you can, take pictures of everything you see that might be wrong.  Post pictures here, including pictures of their skinned breasts.  (Better PM those to me SUZ may be lurking).

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 05:54:10 AM »

I think that since the couple of day's frost that you have had, could very well be the problem of the birds being startled from the acorns bouncing off the top of the pen. I believe you stated that it is chicken wire and not a fabric type top flight netting that you are using.

My opinion on disease is less likely. Thin breasts, CRD, take longer then what is happening. No reason on worming since the birds are on a wire and not in contact to the ground.

Move the pen to another location or, place a tarp above the pen enclosure and angle it off to keep the acorns from a direct hit.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 07:07:52 PM »

Steve your reply is on the money as far as the pen. all wire. off ground plenty food and water no change in feed  birds look fat and healthy. there is a tarp over half the pen so between that and the cover inside the pen the frost should not be getting to them  today one minute they would be huddled together and half hour later they would be all over the pen. doing their own thing . as far as the acorns I do not think that is the  problem.  I think they  have all fallen. and the cold factor. I hope that is not the case or I will lose them all it hasn,t  been that cold and warms up nicely during the day. and they have been outside all along.  ???

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »

cold factor.

It would have to be darn cold for a spell and no shelter for the cold to be a factor. They can take quite a dip in temperature, especially with any shelter.

:-|   Got me?  I don't have a clue...... :-|

Back to the disease/infection/flue.......... ???

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
ode2god
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 01:15:21 AM »

the sky is falling ...the sky is falling j45 ooops thats not birdie it granny s story time language lol j47
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 05:01:48 AM »

So birddog, how are they holding up? Any more loses?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »

had a big argument with the wife yesterday. she decided that they were getting cold because the wind could blow up through the bottom of the pen. and she wanted to put some hay on the bottom.  I let her put a little near the door. wouldn,t you know the little buggers  dug into the hay and I did not lose any last night.  coincidence ?? I hope so. for my sake  ::)

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 09:49:54 PM »

We'd like to see a picture of your set-up with a wind speed + temperature reading.

:?:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:46:24 PM »

Here's a picture of those Chestnut Oak acorns compared to others.

Black Walnut,  Buckeye,  Chestnut oak,  White oak,  Black oak.

As you can see compared to the others, the Chestnut oak is considerably larger than the other oaks shown.

That shiny thing is a penny.   :grin:

Disregard date stamp, click on picture to enlarge:

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 04:08:36 AM »

I have Black Walnuts here, that in there husks, are the size of hard balls.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 12:59:48 AM »

had a big argument with the wife yesterday. she decided that they were getting cold because the wind could blow up through the bottom of the pen. and she wanted to put some hay on the bottom.  I let her put a little near the door. wouldn,t you know the little buggers  dug into the hay and I did not lose any last night.  coincidence ?? I hope so. for my sake  ::)
i think the wife might be right i thought about what you said about wire off the ground ..it does allow cold updraft  ...try putting hay in a wood box shallow enough for them to nest in i bet you theyll cuddle up warm as toast ..just gotta make sure theyre still getting out to eat and drink thats what we do here for our animals..not that it gets thatt cold but its cold for us lol
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 01:32:35 AM »

nuts

:-X
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 02:27:03 AM »

nuts

j45

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

ode2god
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »

nuts

j45  s020 no acorns
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »