Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Odor control for gamebirds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odor control for gamebirds  (Read 5115 times)
brian

Personal Text

« on: July 21, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »

New guy here, I was wondering what you might do for odor control. Those that have elevated flight pens do you ever clean under the pens? I currently have 12 adult quail in a Johny house and roughly 30 chicks I have raised in a separate cage. I will soon put all them in my flight pen which is 30' x 15' x 12' tall it has a dirt floor with cover crops planted. I am Brooding the quail chicks on wire at my house (I live in as subdivision)  and since the HEAT has hit the odor is stronger (of course). I currently use ground lime under the cages but was wondering what others might do. Thanks.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

New guy here, I was wondering what you might do for odor control. Those that have elevated flight pens do you ever clean under the pens? I currently have 12 adult quail in a Johny house and roughly 30 chicks I have raised in a separate cage. I will soon put all them in my flight pen which is 30' x 15' x 12' tall it has a dirt floor with cover crops planted. I am Brooding the quail chicks on wire at my house (I live in as subdivision)  and since the HEAT has hit the odor is stronger (of course). I currently use ground lime under the cages but was wondering what others might do. Thanks.

Brian,
I hope this helps.(answers to your questions.)

1- Those that have elevated flight pens do you ever clean under the pens?With the amount of waste that they produce, not cleaning under an elevated flight pen or cages is asking for problems relating to rodents, offencive smell, and not to mention the massive grass growth that will propagate and intice snakes

2- I am Brooding the quail chicks on wire at my house (I live in as subdivision): Try giving the chicks .25oz of apple cider vinegar per gallon on water.

3-  I currently use ground lime under the cages Try using cedar chips under the cage along with the powered lime, and clean more often.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
brian

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »

Thanks Steve!

can you also give the apple cider vinegar to the adult birds?

I was just curious on the elevated flight pen clean up. I see some very large flight pens that are elevated and they would seem very hard to clean underneath.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

Thanks Steve!

can you also give the apple cider vinegar to the adult birds?

I was just curious on the elevated flight pen clean up. I see some very large flight pens that are elevated and they would seem very hard to clean underneath.

Yes,  but take note on the birds droppings. To much of the apple cider will kill the birds.. No more then 1 oz per gallon of cold water per (24hr) day. That goes for the chicks as well. 1/4 oz per gallon of cold water per (24hr) day, twice a week.

If there is any water left over the following day make sure you dump that water, do not let it set over for another day.

I failed to mention that I wouldn't do the apple cider dose more then twice a week. Do  Monday and Thursday doses and see how that works out as far as the smell is concerned.

Placing a tarp under the elevated filght pen with rope on the grommets to slide out works very well. Rope the both sides. Makes life easy as long as it stays dry and kept clean.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
brian

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 09:01:21 AM »

Thanks Steve!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »

You're welcome!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »