Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:26:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ringneck Doves
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ringneck Doves  (Read 5954 times)
Gunny

Personal Text

« on: July 05, 2010, 03:11:36 AM »

Alright,
     I just want to make this crystal clear before any problems arise, because I did do a search, and just for the record I am not birdlover17.  The question is about POSSIBLY keeping ringneck doves with BW quail on the bottom.  My girlfriend really likes doves and was asking if they would co-exist.  Maybe I can get her to help clean/feed birds?  Just a thought.  Let me know.  The pen will be an outdoor type 5 x 15 in size with a 6-6.5' height and access to an indoor area for the quail on the ground entrance.  A small indoor cage can be easily built up high for the doves to enter their own small indoor pen.  This pen is only going to hold 12 quail and maybe 3-4 doves.  I know TENNRED and Mr. Cowell I believe both have raised doves as well so any input would be great.  This has been a very argued subject and don't want a landslide of negativity but what the H@%#.  Rather learn by asking than making a mistake!

Thanks Gunny
P.S.- I really am not birdlover17 and don't claim to know him.  I am 37 and live in New Baltimore, MI.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:41:42 AM »

O.K.,
     I don't even have a deck on my house!

Gunny
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »

O.K.,
     I don't even have a deck on my house!

Gunny

s020
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:38:01 AM »

If you lived closer I give them to you !
Noise all day long. Asked the wife yesterday: Wonder what they taste like ? (they are hers)

Personally, I wouldn't put anything with Bobs. Mean little buggers !

Different feed as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:21:38 PM by Reeves » Logged
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »

I have never done it but I have a friend that has for years and years...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »

Alright Slider,
     That friend of yours ever had any problems, to your knowledge?  Yea, I do know about the food difference in the birds Reeves thanks.  I do know about the BW aggressiveness as well but the birds will be in 2 different parts of the cage 90% of the time.  O.K. REEVES, I got you, that one 10% and BOOM!  Quail feed.  This question is not to mix hobbies or cause problems for the birds just to attempt to here less complaints of me being too busy to spend time and this will help.  And all of that crap!  On the subject, I have had a Pied Ringneck Dove now since I was around ten yrs. old.  I am going to turn 38 this month and this thing is still with me.  Through 3 moves, 1 furnace shutting down in Jan. in Michigan, and about 8 yrs. ago my dog helped the dove "LOOSE" his tail feathers.  ALL OF THEM AT ONCE.  They grew back of course but my god how long do these things live?  He was $5 at the state fair in 1983!  Let me know.

Thanks Gunny.

P.S.:  The only thing in my sock drawer is socks. 
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 03:25:01 PM »

P.S.:  The only thing in my sock drawer is socks.

Not even going to ask what that is about  uo2

s020
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »

Reeves,
     I think CharlieHorse said it best in regards to some quail someone was raising in his sock drawer.  I wonder who that someone was?  Hey, only been a member for about a month and searches do really work!  Seriously though, any idea how long Ringneck Doves live?  Just wondering.  The question is still out there for Slider as far as your friend raising the two together.  Any problems?  Thanks to all.

Gunny
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »

Well my sock drawer is full....Unless yall know something that I do not, they will eat the same food no reason why not...My friend has about 30 Butler Bobwhite and 20 Ringneck doves in a 10x30x8 ft pen on a concreat slab. She has had them together for  years but they are her pets. She feeds them Hen Scratch and gamebird crumbles they all eat from the same feeder. If they did not get along she would not keep them together. Quail cant get along with each other and doves fight also...the doves stay up high most of the time anyway...Your call...
I have a Homing Pigeon that is 16 and still breeding...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »

Thanks Slider,
      The doves are going to be pets for my girlfriend.  Hope she assists in the feeding/cleaning portion of the pet thing.  The BW's will not.  They will be used for egg production and meat the entire time.  So there may be some way to install a revolving door on the pen to keep young fresh quail on the ground.  Have not made up my mind in full so if there is a battle royal one day when the choice is made I will let you guys know!  Thanks Again to you both.

Gunny
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

By the way are you birdlover17 ?????? n3st  s020

Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »

So Slider,
     I guess you got the joke.  No I am not, unless he joined the Marines became an E-7 in record time and found himself in Alaska, not the good part of Alaska at that.  Although I did get a kick out the prior post's from our young friend.  Not so much his responses but you guys shredding his responses.  I found myself lol!  Searches on this thing can be very entertaining in your free time.  Thanks

Gunny

P.S.: Do have plans for a deck when I return to Michigan but will attempt to keep ANY animals from under it at all costs.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 01:11:49 AM »

Oh,
     Just to keep on point with the subject.  If any other members have any additional help with the whole Ringneck Dove thing please feel free.  Thanks to all.

Gunny
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:56:19 AM »

It's a sad thing, if Doves live a long time  s47
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »

fp1  Good Luck on that Reeves, we know who the boss is!!

No help from me on any doves, but that is some funny stuff right there!!!!  I had completely forgot about "the sock drawer" !!!!   el23

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »