Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:38:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  hatching 2 different batches at once.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hatching 2 different batches at once.  (Read 3028 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:44 PM »

I have 2 batches of quail eggs in my bator right now. I got one on 5/17 and they went in the bator at 5 pm. the other batch arrived on 5/15 and went in at 5 pm. I have been turning 4 times a day, every 6 hours.

My question is can I turn the first batch 2 extra turns and the second batch 2 less turns and stop turning them at the same time and increase the humidity without having to worry about any hatching problems?

mike
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:08:02 PM »

Hi Mike. What I did was make a divider for the eggs This way you can keep them divided  and free from the 1st batch when they hatch and it will keep the other eggs clean. But remember it will be harder to clean when both hatches are done
Scot
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »

I have 2 batches of quail eggs in my bator right now. I got one on 5/17 and they went in the bator at 5 pm. the other batch arrived on 5/15 and went in at 5 pm. I have been turning 4 times a day, every 6 hours.

My question is can I turn the first batch 2 extra turns and the second batch 2 less turns and stop turning them at the same time and increase the humidity without having to worry about any hatching problems?

mike

Continue turning both batches of eggs 4x every 6 hours, until it is time to stop prior to going into your hatcher. Place both batches of eggs in your hatcher at the same time and up the humidity from 82-84 wet bulb to 85-90 wet bulb . Your digital should read 57-62% from 48 to 56%.

The two day lay over on the expected hatch dates won't matter. Hatching eggs is not rocket science.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »

Thanks I didn't figure it would be that big of a difference. I forgot to keep the batches seperate so that is the only thing I can do.

mike
Babs_MN
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:26:50 PM »

Pardon me a giggle... I came home from dinner at the folk's place to find 2 surprise babies peeping away.
I'd put them in early and then forgot to mark them, so I hadn't planned to stop turning until June 2. I guess these kids had other ideas. They weren't real happy about being stuck between the top tray and the wall on a tilt, but had the tray been level they'd have fallen to the bottom.

I don't think it will matter too much with your eggs if you don't turn them for the two days prior to when the first batch should hatch. Take notes of what you do and how it turns out so you know for next time. Like Steve says, it's not rocket science, but some of us are old and forgetful. ;)

Babs
woodenegg
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »

Ya, like I forgot which batch went in when and pulled the wrong ones first.  When I figured it out, they spent 6 days in the hatcher, still got 65% from shipped eggs. Wait a minute, did I day shipped eggs?  They've actually been hatching really good.  This batch was butler bobs and the 2nd batch were Wisconsin Jumbos and they hatched at 80%.  I'll have to thank my postman.  They really have been watching out for my eggs lately.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »