Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  OK DAY 18 at 8:45 AM and no SIGN OF MY COTURNIX QUAIL HATCHING
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK DAY 18 at 8:45 AM and no SIGN OF MY COTURNIX QUAIL HATCHING  (Read 11540 times)
ChrisCarreiro

« on: May 09, 2006, 08:44:58 AM »

What is the longest i should wait to toss the eggs? I am using a cheapy incubator (Chick-Bator/ MIni Dome Incubator)... I tried really hard to get these eggs to hatch, and i am very discouraged... i figured they would probly hatch on day 17 because that is when most people's hatch on this forum... Please give me some advice :( I only have 4 eggs  that i have taken VERY good care of.....

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
woodenegg
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:38:09 AM »

Hi Chris, don't get discouraged.  I have had them take 20 days once and I had 80% hatch.  That was 80 of them out of 100 eggs.  I set an incubator up in my grandson's class so I don't know exactly what happened with it by when I was about ready to pull the plug I saw the first pipping and then they came like gang busters.  My first try was with a still air hovabator and had 4 out of 36 hatch.  It is the old if at first you don't suceed, try, try again.  It has been an almost constant upgrade, adding a fan, then a second incubator... but I have learned and I have seen the hatches increase.  The second problem is shipped eggs.  It is very hard on them.  If those don't hatch, let me know and I'll stick a few more eggs in the mail for you.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »

Woodenegg (let me know what your name is  :laugh: ),

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:24 PM »

(Sorry screwed up my last post)

Woodenegg,
Thank you for your encouragement, i will let you know what happens. I will pay whatever the shipping costs etc. I just really apperciate your help. Thank you so much.

Chris

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
JohnInDixon
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 02:01:53 PM »

I think we all need to pitch in and get him an incubator ;) instead of a flying saucer...  We' all keeping our fingers crossed for you Chris!
MAX
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:19:01 PM »

hi chris
  dont give up just yet hatchings eggs is funny.... one time they will be right on time and the next 3 to 4 days late... i put 120 coturnix eggs in the incubator and 68 hatched right on time and 2 day later i was getting ready to clean my incubator  to set 120 bobwhites  that just came in the mail and found that my coturnix hatch wasnt over in fact in 24 hours i had 22 more of the little buggers...so relax and give them a few extra days and when its all done always check the eggs that didnt hatch and to see how many were fertile and not just yellow yokes
geeter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:43:39 PM »

hang in there chris.  i hatched my first batch last summer largely in part to all the iformation i got from this forum.  the people on this forum are great.  i'm sure everyone is pulling for you.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:54:50 PM »

Thanks for all your help! You guys are the best, i just took the 2 liter soda bottle cap filled with water out of my incubator, and put in a sponge, now the dome is fogging up, at least i know there is moisture in there. Is that ok? I put the Thermometer back on top of the eggs because i couldnt place it on the sponge, the Termometer's backing was made of cardboard and was absorbing the water from sponge, which gave me a bad reading on the temp. Thanks again for all your help, By the way...just to let everyone know a little about me, i am 17 yrs old, this is my second try with this incubator, my first try i was about 10 or 11 yrs old, and when i tried it the first time, the eggs were due to hatch when i  had to go on vacation so i gave the incubator to my friend to watch, and they told me one hatched but their dog got to it... this is my second attempt....my girlfriend thinks i am a werido...she says this whole bird hatching thing is random....but i have a very random strong fasination with it... So reguardless what she thinks or anyone else, i love it already and am building a  pen for my quail already...and i havent even got any to hatch yet :( but hopefully i will have some luck with the eggs that are surpose to hatch today.....Thanks again everyone especially Woodenegg, MAX & JohninDixon

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »

Thank you very much Geeter!:)

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 05:36:39 PM »

How soon and how late are dependent on how low or high your temps were from the ideal temp. As I assumed...in a Chickbator, the temps would more then likely fall below the desired temp during the evenings. So your chicks will probably hatch during the later days if they developed at all.

I had some coturnix that hatched on day 20-23 in my homemade incubator as i stated in one of my older threads. Good luck.
smilely
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »

I think we all need to pitch in and get him an incubator ;) instead of a flying saucer...  We' all keeping our fingers crossed for you Chris!
woodenegg
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »

Hi Chris, my name is Greg Christensen.  One of my other hobbies is turning wood and two seemed to go together to make woodenegg.  I live in Settler's Bay, Alaska and raise quail, pheasant, ducks, chukar and turkeys.  Everything goes out to a friend who owns a game farm except the quail, they live in my garage.  I have somewhere around 150 in an 8' x 4' corner in 'high rise condo's.'  I am starting to work on a Butler bob and XXL jumbo brown coturnix cross.  I've read some interesting things.  You will find a lot of folks just don't get the fascination with gamebirds, hatching, raising, breeding, but there are a lot that do.  Welcome to the club.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:12:31 PM »

Chris   i was 10 years old when I got my first incubator   i am now 38 years old,  you can try this link  www.gqfmfg.com   you will have better luck with a newer incubator   Ill even send you some eggs   if interrested    plush Ive had 3 incubators  now i have 2 of them left and Ive hatched many eggs with them. keep us updated and let us know if they hatch  Scot
woodenegg
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »

Count me in John.  I suspect we can find enough to make it happen.
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:54 PM »

Thank you for all your support everyone :)

Greg, First off thanks for your support! So you make eggs out of wood? Do you have any pictures? Alaska is beautiful, i have been there once and stayed about a month, i seriously would love to go again, i wouldnt even mind moving there! I have a very natural facination with hatching eggs into birds, it really just amazes me how the whole proccess works :). Thanks Greg and i will be talking to you soon! I will let you know what happens with this chickbator

Scot,
I ordered my chickbator from www.gqfmfg.com the prices are really good on there compared to everyone else.  I am looking for a used incubator, i dont really want to spend alot on something new, I dont want to hatch in real quantity. I looked on ebay nothing is really on there cheap, just people selling their used stuff for the same prices as the new stuff after shipping. If you have an incubator that you have got your monies worth out of, and looking to get rid of it, i would be more than happy to buy it from you. :)  They have not hatched yet.... still waiting Thanks alot Scot for your help and advice.

Chris

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »