Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Red tailed Hawks and Owls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red tailed Hawks and Owls  (Read 45860 times)
mikken

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 02:59:08 PM »

AFAIK, hawks do not hunt in the dark.  It sounds like you're dealing with another kind of predator - owl, maybe?

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 07:25:16 PM »

if it is happening at night most likely an owl
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2005, 09:11:27 AM »

Well the S.O.B. came back yesterday sometime and picked up the remains on top of the netting. What was left was the back and wings.

I was outside last night waiting inside the the barn area of the housed pheasants. No one showed up.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
rushcreek

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:34:10 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. (trap sounds good) Wish I was a better shot. I beginning to think the only solution will be to double net the tops of the pens, but so expensive. I have the red tail and the smaller chicken hawks. The chicken hawks seem to do 90% of the killing. Now an owl has shown up to. They're working in shifts. Any quail I let out of the flight pens are gone in two days.
 I've had to start leaving my free range chickens penned all the time now because I have something brave enough to come up in the yard to kill them and carry them off in the middle of the day! Haven't figured out what it is yet. TheCoons are pretty easy to trap, but coyotes and bobcats are a different matter. I think I'm slowly losing the battle.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
mikken

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 12:36:52 PM »

You need yourself a livestock guard.

What about geese?  They can be nasty fighters...
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 10:25:27 PM »

i know a guy with free range chickens who has this great dane guard them all the time-doesnt hurt them or anything.  all the predators stay away.  maybe train a dog???-because wouldnt the daytime predator just carry off geese...i say that seriously because ive been attacked several times by geese.

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »

Well, we can make that 8 confirmed kills. This one happen between 10am-1pm. again the S.O.B. left the remains on to of the top-flight netting.

I wonder if I can file a law suite against the Federal Government for their protected hawks, invading my air space, and trespassing, tormenting and killing my birds.

I guess I would need one shyster of a lawyer, and he would have to do pro-quo.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 02:17:04 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
mikken

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »

Then get yourself a livestock guard animal...find the biggest, nastiest geese you can get - the kind of geese that will attack dogs and Mack trucks.  With them, your place will soon not be worth the hassle to the predators...just make sure they know that you're the guy with the food...

rushcreek

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »

I had one of those kind of geese before, till he grabbed me by the nose one day while I was filling his feeder! :laugh: Guess I should have kept him around.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »

I have had my share of attack geese. I got jumped by one and he made a nice Thanksgiving dinner.

I even have  5 dogs and they can't be there all the time. they alway walk the pens.

The hawks are smart. I saw one on the flight pen, and when I opened the back door of the house, the S.O.B. flew. The distance from my back door to the flight pen is no more then 100 feet.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

rushcreek

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 10:25:49 AM »

I'm with you Steve. The hawks are smart and just getting smarter. Our pens are about 200 ft from the house and separated by trees and I swear they see me as soon as I open the door. Now I totally understand  the saying "watch em like a hawk". Nothing gets past em. When I am lucky enough to sneak up on them, they've figured out to fly down behind the back of the pens instead of flying up. We have two dogs, no help there. I keep hoping they'll go ahead and migrate on down south, but why should they? They got it made here. 

Rush Creek Quail Farm
mikken

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 03:03:57 PM »

Hmmm...what about a "scarehawk" then?  Some kind of human-form thing like a scarecrow that you can move around the cages every other day or so?

Put a big rake or some other threatening-looking tool in its hands and put it up to guard the cages. 

Keep repositioning it to keep it scary.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 04:28:50 PM »

What about owl decoys? Are the hawks wary of the owls, or do they just share the festivities.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »

I'm with you Steve. The hawks are smart and just getting smarter. Our pens are about 200 ft from the house and separated by trees and I swear they see me as soon as I open the door. Now I totally understand  the saying "watch em like a hawk". Nothing gets past em. When I am lucky enough to sneak up on them, they've figured out to fly down behind the back of the pens instead of flying up. We have two dogs, no help there. I keep hoping they'll go ahead and migrate on down south, but why should they? They got it made here. 

rushcreek,
I can see my flight pen from my bedroom window. I have watched the S.O.B. land on the far corner of it. The S.O.B. will then bounce on the top-flight netting to spook the pheasants into flight.

The pheasants that are released that hang around the pen hide when the hawk is around. The pen birds start to do a warning signal. As soon as the released birds, RNC and RNH feel it is safe to come out the hawk swoops down and whacks one. Then the hawk goes back on the flight pen and begins to tare it apart.

I understand that the hawks have to eat too, but there are dove all over the property along with cottontail rabbits all day long.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

rushcreek

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 06:27:27 PM »

I don't think the owl decoy would work. We've seen both the great horned owl and the chicken hawks on the pens at the same time late in the afternoon. And yeah I've seen em bounce up and down on the netting too. I thought he might have been hung in the netting at first, but no, just trying to spook em once the quail just give it up and try to hide.
I've even tried the scarecrow thing. They figure that out real quick.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »