Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Small Incubator and turner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small Incubator and turner  (Read 4584 times)
Danman

Personal Text

« on: October 29, 2009, 10:08:15 AM »

I had tried to hatch some quail eggs with a very small incubator that I found on E-bay that came with 4 quail eggs. Basically the short fall was that there was a temperature drop that did in the little guys. After no success with the little yellow flying saucer I decided a try at my own small incubator.
I was at the vets and there was a sign "Free coolers" which were basically insulated shipping boxes for meds that need to be kept cold. They were heavy Styrofoam at about 1 1/2 inch thick 13x 15 x 10 inches tall. Certainly enough to handle a temp swing.

I took a small light socket and attached it to a piece of chimney flashing to help reflect the heat. I did this all with only 7 watts! Being that I wanted to monitor whats going on i cut out a hole in the top and siliconed in a piece of plexi glass. I did this by cutting a hole a 1/2 inch smaller than the plexi glass then scribed the plexi glass shape into the styrofoam and cutting a recess for it. This way it helps seal in the heat.

I then cut the side out to mount an electronic temperature and and humidity unit in the side. I took the probe and pushed the mounting tang into the side and let it run for 24 hours to check the temp at the height of the probe. After figuring the sweet spot of a 100 degrees I measured and pushed in a couple of single sided razor blades as a shelf to hold a piece of 1/4 x 1/4 mesh

If you look closely you will see two holes in the lower side by the light. these were for fresh air flow. These were made by heating a piece of 3/4 inch tube i had and plunging into the styrofoam to melt a hole. I also did this to the lid at the far end to to create an air flow by the "chimney effect"
I found that rotating eggs would prove to be a chore that ultimately lets out heat and the eggs roll around like crazy making me nuts. I took some plexi glass and cut into strips and fuses together into a rack that holds or controls the eggs. Basically all you have to do is slide the rack and all the eggs roll. I know its not pretty but it was quick and did the job.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:09:04 PM by Danman » Logged
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »

not shown is a few lids that I put in front of the air holes so as to create humidity. by putting them under the air flow I figure it would help and also to fill I would just use a syringe through the hole to add water.
I also took a coat hanger and made a small hole to to move the rack without opening the lid.

Some findings: to adjust heat I used a small piece of Plexiglas to create a dampener or cover over the top holes to regulate air flow and heat loss.
I also found the biggest culprit of heat loss was the viewing glass. I took a piece of Styrofoam and put it over the window to help, and just lifted it when i wanted to peak in.
I am sure someone may chime in on the size of my air holes. My theory is that by regulating at the top will automatically adjust at the bottom. and I could check by holding a piece of paper near the bottom holes to see the effect of the air flow.

All of this was done "Green" as everything was recycled or used. My total cost was my time as everything was sitting around. YMMV
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:09:59 PM »

s98 Let us know how it works.  With the styrofoam being that deep, you could probably melt grooves to hold water like the Little Giant bator.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Danman

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »

It worked out just fine. I had 24 button and 14 coturnix. 9 button hatched, 13 infertile, 2 cloudy which I have no idea what that means.
7 coturnix hatched just fine, 2 died after hatching (ones leg was caught in the mesh) one deformed (one eye) and 4 infertile.

The mesh is the same size as commercial ones so I guess it was just an unfortunate accident.
As for the intervals there was no blood ring or spot.
The cloudy maybe was fertile and just did not make it? Maybe someone could fill me in.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »