Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 11:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  my pup is pissing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my pup is pissing  (Read 3024 times)
Vizsla-newbie
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:15:07 AM »

My puppy who's a 4 month old male Vizsla is showing great signs of his intelligence and his natural hunting instinct. We were able to train him to go outside to go to the bathroom real quick, it took about a couple of weeks. But at the end of the day he's still a puppy and he makes mistakes. But recently in the last week he's gone awry it seems. When he grabs things to chew on, such as papers, magazines, socks and what not we(my wife and I) will go to take said items away from him and once we try and take it away from him he starts pissing. Not a lot but he still does. I'm assuming that he's just nervous or excited and can't control it. Sometimes he'll do it when somebody comes in the house. I think that too is due to his excitement. Overall he is a wonderful smart puppy. We've never punished him physically so I ruled that out as a cause. Or maybe I'm expecting too much of such a young dog just because he seemed to catch on real quick about not going potty in the house and he seems to be regressing and not progressing.

Is this something that is normal for a 4 month old. Should I be concerned or am I just wasting energy worrying about this. I'm not really sure. I'm almost 29 years old and the last time I dealt with the raising of a puppy I was about 6 years old so I don't really have any prior experience to look back at.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.
SportDog

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:42 AM »

My bittany did that as a pup.  It was from excitement and he stopped around 6 mos or so.  Hasnt done it since and he is going on 2 yrs in June. 
Vizsla-newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »

That's good to hear. We're hoping that it's just a phase he's in.  We've been amazed at how good of a dog he is. I think that we've been a bit spoiled because he hasn't committed a lot of the wrongs that a lot of puppies do. Like destroying things in the house from chewing and going to the bathroom. He's been wonderful and we've been thinking either we slipped up somewhere with him or maybe we're expecting too much.  Glad to hear your Brit is doing good
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »