Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:30:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  help choice a bird dog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help choice a bird dog  (Read 4532 times)
gp
Expert Member

« on: November 22, 2005, 07:50:41 PM »

Hi i'm looking into buying a pointer for quail hunting.  I want a short haird dog.  I was looking at a GSP is this a good choice?  Does anybody on here sell them?  If not  can anybody recomend a good kennel that sells them?  Thanks
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 11:02:23 AM »

Where are you located ?

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 11:38:55 AM »

Ft Myers FL
huntindog
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 01:08:50 PM »

All breeds are good, and have their general traits as well as exceptions to the general. This question often brings out a hotly contested debate about which breed is best.... With everyone of course sure that their breed is the best.

More important than the breed choice is the actual breeding. Research your potential breeders carefully. See who is actively proving their dogs in competitions, which since you are talking about a hunting dog means field trials or hunt tests.

If looking at a dog with hunt test titles, I would at a minimum expect to see a Senior title, preferably a Master title. The Junior title means little in a dog of breeding age.

If looking at dogs that compete in field trials. Look for dogs that are having sucess in whatever venue they are competing in. There are many different types of trials, and like the individual breed,,,,most are sure that their choice is the best.

Another very important factor to consider is production. Some dogs with great pedigrees for whatever reason simply don't produce good pups. So take a close look at what the offspring has done in the past.

When comparing dogs it is important to do apples to apples comparisons. For example; Dog A might have some AKC placements or even points towards it's championship. But only be 2 years old. Dog B might have a more impressive record, perhaps having a field champion title, and is much older. Another factor in this would be the individual dogs exposure to competition. There are some people who are in a position to travel the country a lot going to trials. These dogs will have many more opportunties and thus should have more impressive record.

Look carefully at breeders who own both the sire and the dam. If this is part of a well thought out breeding program, then it could be a good thing. Often it is not though as it is the most profitable way to produce puppies.

The last thing to consider in all of this is timing. Americans have become used to getting whatever they want whenever they want it.
Great breedings aren't like that. If you see what you want, get it now! This one thing is more important than any other factor. Although there are always pups available, Great breedings are far and few.

Good luck in your search!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:10:36 PM by huntindog » Logged
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »

well i Got a AKC regesterd GSP FOR $275........ dId i do good?  He says that they are good bloodlines and he sells all of his males to a quail ranch somewhere.
gunner

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »

An english pointer may be the best pointing breed for your climate in sw Florida.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »