Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  baby quail with crooked neck
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: baby quail with crooked neck  (Read 6602 times)
lhamid
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:38:45 PM »

I have a day old quail that can't straighten his neck. It's like he is looking over his shoulder.  I can straighten it with my fingers but when I let go it goes back to being crooked. He is really active, twists around to eat and drink, runs all around.  Looks like he might have been cramped in the egg. Is there anything I can do for him?  I know how to fix spraddle leg & crooked toes. This is the first one I've had with a deformed neck. Obviously won't breed this bird, but if he lives (he seems quite healthy otherwise) I want to make him comfortable.
Flower of Eden
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 04:16:37 PM »

Gosh! Poor fellow! How is he making out?
lhamid
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 04:32:18 PM »

Actually he's doing okay!  He is growing more slowly than the others and sometimes falls down and has trouble getting up. But he is SPUNKY. Still eating, drinking, getting along fine with his cage mates. Doesn't seem to be in pain. He is tamer than the others, he doesn't mind if I touch him. Seems to know I am trying to help him when I help him get back on his feet when whe is struggling. I call him Gimpy and I am rather fond of the little guy!
penny's dad
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 07:35:04 PM »

THE LAST SETTING OF EGGS I HATCHED WERE BOBS AND I HAD A QUAIL WITH A CROOKED NECK. HE COULDN'T LOOK UP HE WALKED AROUND IN THE BROODER LOOKING THROUGH THE FLOORING WIRE. DIDN'T SEEM TO HINDER HIM AS FAR AS EATING OR DRINKING. I'M TRYING TO THINK BUT I DON'T THINK HE MADE IT. :cry:     P.D.
lhamid
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

This little guy is really deformed - I think he was cramped in the egg.  But he hatched Jan. 3rd, today is Feb. 7th.  I didn't think he would live after he hatched but he is over a month old.  Looks like he's gonna make it!
Flower of Eden
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 09:07:04 AM »

I'll be thinking about him. Keep us up to date as to how he is doing.
lhamid
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 11:55:59 AM »

These chicks are so tiny when they hatch, they look like they would be frail but they are unbelievably tough.  I have another chick that was the only one to hatch out of a batch I set in my old Hovabator.  I thought it was a hen so when it got a little bigger I put it in with a pair.  Turns out it was a male and the other male tore him up really badly. His whole head was bloody and both eyes were shut.  I felt awful. I though his eyes had been pecked out.  I had to hold water and food up to him for 3 days, bathed his eyes with warm water and put neosporin all over his wounds.  On day 3 he had one eye partly open!  On day 4 the other eye opened.  He's almost completely healed in a week. I can't believe he made it, but he did. So I have high hopes for Gimpy!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »