Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Fertility
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fertility  (Read 3438 times)
labmancan
Expert Member

« on: February 28, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »

Had to remove a male from his mate today, he beat her up pretty bad. These are Coturnix and have been laying for about a month, how long will the hens eggs stay fertile now he is gone?

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:27:23 AM »

"They" generally say 10-14 days.  I'm not sure what you have in mind.  I wouldn't sell any that were laid after the 7th day.  In my limited experience with Coturnix, it seems most hens get pick pretty bad.

I would incubate any up to 14-16 days (if I didn't need them for an omelet).  I would expect fertility percentages to drop off after 10 days, or so.  If you want the most fertile eggs with least wear and tear on your hen, you could put him back in after 7 or 8 days, and remove him after 2.  Not a viable approach if you had a hundred males doing this.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:58:54 AM »

Thanks Wilder:

I only have the 3 prs., i don't sell any eggs. I get 3 Quail eggs aday and 1 Partridge every 2 days, incubate every 8 days. I bought these just to make sure I had my new Sportsman and brooders figured out. I put them and a pr. of Chukar under lights
I didn't want to wait until my fancy Pheasants were laying to find out I had to change something.
I know that most hens get some feathers removed from their heads and necks, but this one also has an eye swollen shut, I will just incubate the next few weeks worth from the 3 coturnix hens anyways, my Pheasants and the outside Chukars should start laying soon.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »