Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Long time no see...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long time no see...  (Read 8051 times)
Sterling-Ranch

« on: October 25, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »

I see I registered in 2004 - 10 years ago.  I remember registering when I first got my quail and neither I or my wife can remember what happened to my quail.  Anyway, I'm an empty-nester now and of course I'm drifting back to what I love, filling the dang place up with birds.  I have three parrots which I consider my children as they are intellectually higher that some humans.  We started raising chickens again.  My wife mentioned the other day she wanted silkies for the backyard as pet birds.  So we went to a breeder that has silkies and damned if he doesn't sell quail.  I came home with button, Gambels (my true love besides my African Grey and the other parrots) and a couple other types of quail that my wife was wanting (gotta lover her).  So I'm back into the quail.   

My whole reason for this thread - how active is this forum?   With Facebook and the other new media out there I've noticed forums are dying all over the place.  What's the scoop here?   I went directly into Buy and Sell and noticed not much....

Couple more questions:

- My username is very antiquated.  Is it possible I can change it?
- Is eggbid still a place to find birds/hatching eggs?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:10:32 PM by Doggus » Logged
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »

This time of year is always slow.  Its still active but not like it was years ago.  I havent seen as many active websites as in years past either.  So either people just arent bothering with selling birds or they just arent advertising through their website.  State laws are getting more and more strict each year too.  I believe eggbid has shut down as well.  Atleast it never loads whenever I try it.  We tried to purchase their site years ago but they declined to sell it.  As far as your username you can change it to anything you want.  As far as eggs and birds feel free to sell on here.  Ebay also lists eggs but no live birds.  Ive been in the quail business for 30 years and I still work two other jobs.

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 01:08:58 PM »

I'm Sterling-Ranch now!   I'll keep checking in.  One thing I've noticed with other forums is they have a FB group tie-in.  A good example is BackyardChickens.com  I searched for a That Quail Place on FB and nothing.   There is only one small quail related group I could find: Quail Breeders Unite!   (wut?)  Maybe this place can get on FB since they seem to have stolen all the internet presence out there.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

A Facebook group has been created. 

NPIP 52-186
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »

A Facebook group has been created.

I don't do Facebook. It is not a trusted site in my book.

If a question is asked here, and hasn't been asked before I am more than happy to help the person out.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

I know you do and everyone here appreciates your comments.  Many of the websites that were once up and thriving can no longer be found.  I dont know if the interest in raising birds is just not there any more or those that still do have no interest in online.  I know this site had issues years ago as well.  It was starting when Shawn had it but it spiraled after I obtained it hoping to save it.  There is so much valuable information on this forum and site I cant take it down.  I dont do much on Facebook either but its what millions of people are turning to.  I just made a small group page with the intent of pointing to here.  Im not even raising the birds I once had.  I went from 30,000 plus a year down to just breeder stock.  My wife and I both work other jobs and my kids are nearly all grown.  My passion is still here because I just cleared the land for 18 flight pens and built a 42' building.  Do you have any input to share Steve on the trend of things?  Feel free to do it here or private.  This site used to have dozens of people online at once and always something new to talk about.  Surely all the questions havent been asked.  Im guilty as well for not coming in here for a month at a time.

NPIP 52-186
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:48:49 AM »

I know you do and everyone here appreciates your comments.  Many of the websites that were once up and thriving can no longer be found.  I dont know if the interest in raising birds is just not there any more or those that still do have no interest in online.  I know this site had issues years ago as well.  It was starting when Shawn had it but it spiraled after I obtained it hoping to save it.  There is so much valuable information on this forum and site I cant take it down.  I dont do much on Facebook either but its what millions of people are turning to.  I just made a small group page with the intent of pointing to here.  Im not even raising the birds I once had.  I went from 30,000 plus a year down to just breeder stock.  My wife and I both work other jobs and my kids are nearly all grown.  My passion is still here because I just cleared the land for 18 flight pens and built a 42' building.  Do you have any input to share Steve on the trend of things?  Feel free to do it here or private.  This site used to have dozens of people online at once and always something new to talk about.  Surely all the questions havent been asked.  Im guilty as well for not coming in here for a month at a time.

Hi ya Larry,

It is definitely the economy. I am down to only my breeders and about 100 extra cocks. I have about 250 birds total. Shells are high in price for the bird hunter and small game hunter as well. Lots of penny pinching going around. The cost of feeding my birds has tripled. The cost of raising chicks has tripled as well. This type of business is no longer profitable unless you own a shooting and big game hunting preserve with paying members and with outside reservations/clientele

Most of the Mom and Pop Shooting preserves I serviced around here have closed the doors. The hunting guide services that rented other peoples lands for bird release either as a shoot to retrieve or dog trials are out of business as well.

Eggs and chicks were a big sell back some years back. Now, the pheasant eggs are sold as specialty eggs along with the chicken eggs for consumables. It takes two (2) pheasant eggs to equal one (1) large chicken egg. The people around here like the pheasant eggs for the younger kids.

I did two (2) hatches for a customer in Ohio totaling over 600 birds; I didn’t hatch anything for myself.

I do still have some of my die hard customer that will call for birds during the holiday season. Some for releasing on there property to hunt and those that just want table fair.

I still release around here and on my property. I don’t advertise that I release either. I still have GSP (4) that love to hunt and a yellow lab. I also have an Australian cattle dog that love to chase squirrels.

I don’t think I will ever stop raising birds, but as far as a part time business, no. This is more of a hobby. I have over 5 acres that I have strategically place around the farm. I grow Milo, Millet and Sorghum. None of these grain crops are harvested. The released birds have food and so does the rest of the wildlife that are on the property.

I guess we will have to wait until this White House administration changes hands before things get any better. I think it is going to be a ruff two (2) years for the Republicans and a president that states: I will do it myself with executive orders I Have a Pen and a Phone. I am not getting any younger…

Have a nice day Larry!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »